This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok and DigiKam applications missing after 8.10 to 9.04 upgrade

Not a big deal, since I didn't have extensive investment in either, but I'm very surprised that in the upgrade:

1. Old versions of the software weren't left intact
    2. New versions of the applications weren't installed

The new version of Amarok was installed, but none of my previous settings migrated.

Digikam's old version was removed, but when I went and got the new version (which looks very cool), none of the settings from my previous version were migrated.

Is there an upgrade log to look at to see what other unexpected things may have happened.

Re: Amarok and DigiKam applications missing after 8.10 to 9.04 upgrade

Great question. I am not sure if Kubuntu's GUI package managers use these files or not but on my system apt puts a log in /var/log/apt/term.log and aptitude uses /var/log/aptitude.

Comment

I did check in the upgrade logs located here:

Code:
      /var/log/dist-upgrade
      There were 5 log files my upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04. The term.log file (terminal log I assume) seemed to indicate that what I witnessed was not a mistake. No error noted of substance regarding either of these two packages. I guess I'll file a bug with Kubuntu folks, since this is not what I'd call desired behavior. My guess is there is a technical reason for it, but I'd expect more warning perhaps...

Comment

I am new to Kubuntu but have used Debian extensively for years. A little over a month ago I decided to try Kubuntu hoping that I would find the stability of Debian with extra work done to make KDE work well on top of it. My experience in the last week, helping people recover from the upgrade, has convinced me that Kubuntu tends to put many things back into what it considers to be a standard form, or something like that. This surprises and disappoints me. Have others noticed this? Do they really do this? Is that new to this Release or has that been Kubuntu (Ubuntu?) policy all along? It makes me wonder if they subcontracted the development to M$.

Comment

Working...
        X