This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your kernel

I upgraded my Dell XPS M1530 laptop from 8.04 to 9.04 and everything went well during the upgrade. But, some odds and ends were not working right. While comparing settings and such with with a desktop I have on 9.04, I noticed that the kernel on my laptop was still 2.6.24-19!

I tried upgrade grub and it had 2.6.28-11 in the list but it was not in the grub menu. I edited menu.lst to include 2.6.28-11 and a lot of the problems (maybe all of the problems) seem to be gone. (I'm at work now so I can't check everything.)

So, if you're having issues with 9.04, check your kernal. Make sure it's up to date.

I noticed another post that mentioned this problem. Any ideas why the upgrade did not cover the kernel? (At least not all the time.)

Wmrobins

Re: Check your kernel

This is strange. The update-grub command is supposed to add any vmlinuz/initrd.img pairs in /boot to menu.lst, yet that does not seem to be happening during the install and now I think you are saying that you ran it it by hand afterward it did not do this either. That would seem to indicate an update-grub problem, but why sometimes and not others?

Comment

You are correct. I ran update-grub by hand and it did not put 2.6.28-11 in the menu. I can only guess that it had to do with my updating from 8.04. I would like to see if this is more wide spread then we know. I mean.... how many people are going to look (and see) that their kernel is not the latest?

Comment

Guess what. Before I got the latest kernel installed:

- I could not connect to my 802.11N router. Had to use the G.

- Youtube videos would not play.

- CNN videos would not play.

- The brightness keys on my keyboard did not work.

- Bluetooth did not work.

Using kernel 2.6.28-11 fixed it all!

YAHOO!!!!!

Comment

My version is 27.11. Any idea how I would go about upgrading?

I get this output with the upgrade-grub command:

ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ sudo update-grub
          Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
          Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
          Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
          Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic
          Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
          Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

ekravets@HAL-9000:~$ uname -a
          Linux HAL-9000 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 20:53:41 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          ekravets@HAL-9000:~$

As you can see my version is still 2.7.27-11. Thanks for any assistance.

Comment

fidesratioque: if the 2.6.28 kernel is in the GRUB menu (which it seems to be, but check in /boot/grub/menu.lst) then you may have to manually select it the first time you want to boot it; GRUB might be defaulting to the 2.6.27 kernel instead for whatever reason.

Comment

Fidesratioque,

Well, what I did was this:

First I entered "sudo update-grub".
              2.6.28-11 came up in the list so I figured it was on the computer. (At least at that point.) But is still did not show up in the grub menu. (I know you already did this but I mention it for anybody else who might have the same problem.)

The next thing I did was edited the menu.lst file. "sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst" (Make a backup copy of menu.lst first.)

Right after, "## ## End Default Options ##", you will find an area that looks like this:

"title Kubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic
              kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=ab1f1368-d4fa-43cb-a12a-c8185b0f0691 ro quiet splash
              initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic

title Kubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.27-11-generic (recovery mode)
              kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=ab1f1368-d4fa-43cb-a12a-c8185b0f0691 ro single
              initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic"

Copy it and past it above it (so it will be first in the list) and change all the "2.6.27-11" to "2.6.28-11". Save it and try it. Good luck.

Comment

You are really pinpointing the problerm. update-grub does find the new kernel, but the new kernel still does not get into menu.lst. Will it fail on the next kernel also?

Comment

Working...
                X