Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jaunty Remix KDE 3.5.10: Is it worth upgrading from 8.04 ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaunty Remix KDE 3.5.10: Is it worth upgrading from 8.04 ?

Not willing to discuss why not moving to KDE 4.....

I'm on 8.04 with KDE 3.5.10 and it performs very well for my needs.
    I read https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty about the possibility of running older KDE on Jaunty.

What I wonder is if it would be worth the effort. Speed ? Stability? Any other REAL advantage (besides those mentioned in the link above) over the exhisting system that is stable enough and fits present needs?

Any known disadvantages or risks ?

Many thanks in advance to all who will share experiences and opinions.

Franz

Re: Jaunty Remix KDE 3.5.10: Is it worth upgrading from 8.04 ?

I installed 9.04 on a seperate partition from my stable 8.04 install, so I could get a good look at it. The new KDE4.2.2 has a lot of nice eye candy, but takes a little getting used too. To give the new distro a fair evaluation, I installed the KDE3.5 desktop on 9.04 in parallel with the default KDE4.2.2, so I could switch back and forth between them. Now I've got the best of both worlds. They coexist nicely, and you can select which one to boot, from the login page.
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Me too! I'm also interested in hearing of hands-on experience with the 9.04 Remix.

Since I'm quite happy with the 9.04 upgrade from 8.10 I'm very tempted to upgrade 8.04 with the remix.
      They are, a bit like what Iwrver has, partially sharing the /home on my laptop so I can still use the computer and get at all important docs.

I've run the laptop this way for over half a year now and can really recommend it to people that want to test the latest and not worry about breaking something.

Comment

i have four machines to upgrade -- two amd64 and two i386 -- so i had to d/l two of the kde-3.5 remix images. now i need to figure out how to do an upgrade, as opposed to clean install, with them. i'm accustomed to doing the straight adept online upgrade. all the machines are running 8.04, due to the inability to readily install kde-3.5 on 8.10.

so . . . what's the best path here? is there some way to upgrade from the CD, or do i need to do the online update -- twice per machine, oh joy -- then poke around on the CDs for the kde3 stuff, and install it that way?

i'd stick with 8.04 but for some hardware items that are supposedly supported now.

advice sought eagerly. thanks in advane.

Comment

Originally posted by dep
          i have four machines to upgrade -- two amd64 and two i386 -- so i had to d/l two of the kde-3.5 remix images. now i need to figure out how to do an upgrade, as opposed to clean install, with them. i'm accustomed to doing the straight adept online upgrade. all the machines are running 8.04, due to the inability to readily install kde-3.5 on 8.10.

so . . . what's the best path here? is there some way to upgrade from the CD, or do i need to do the online update -- twice per machine, oh joy -- then poke around on the CDs for the kde3 stuff, and install it that way?

i'd stick with 8.04 but for some hardware items that are supposedly supported now.

advice sought eagerly. thanks in advane.
          If these machines are on the same network you may want to take a look at something like Apt-Cacher (http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/apt-cacher) which will save you a fair bit of downloading particularly around upgrade time. I have used it in the past and it is fairly easy to setup. I am not using it currently, but I do plan to set it back up as soon as I have multiple machines on the same architecture again.

I don't have any experience with the remix, though, as I'm just now looking into upgrading from 8.04 to 9.04, but it does look like there are Apt repositories available: http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

Interested to hear other's experience as well...
          Kubuntu user since initial release version 5.04 8)

Comment

Originally posted by franzmaximilian
            I'm on 8.04 with KDE 3.5.10 and it performs very well for my needs.
            I read https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty about the possibility of running older KDE on Jaunty.
            No, I don't think there's any reason to upgrade a working system from 8.04.2 LTS to 9.04.

8.04.2 *is* an LTS version, the only non-LTS part is the KDE desktop, which is very stable at 3.5.10 and needs no security upgrade.

9.04 KDE3 remix is an semi-official version with very limited multi-language support and the whole os kernel and system is far less stable than 8.04.2 LTS.

Unless you have a spare computer to "try new stuffs", I don't recommend the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X