This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrepid to Jaunty upgrade killed my video - now won't boot normally

Fully working system on Intrepid, upgraded to Jaunty via the Internet.
    Video card: ATI RAGE PF PRO AGP [chiprev 0x1] 16M 128-bit SDR
    AGP Aperture 64M

The Upgrade seem to go without a hitch, but when I rebooted, I got "aty128fb: cannot reserve frame buffer memory". My kernel line has a "vga=794" which the upgrade kept. When I try to change the number using "vga=ask", any lesser resolution shows the Kubuntu greeter bigger and with a scrolled display, still nothing.

I see the Kubuntu greeter, but when it tries to go into the login screen, the machine locks up and I have to hit the reset button to reboot. Dead in the water.

I can boot with the recovery kernel and nothing untoward seems to be printed in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, no (EE)'s, one (WW) about not being able to allocate static buffers, and "direct rendering" is turned off, but this was happening before (another issue).

If there is any other info I can provide I will do so if I can. I am right now completely stopped. Any help or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Intrepid to Jaunty upgrade killed my video - now won't boot normally

I just verified that the Live DVD that I burnt from ISO boots up just fine.

Can anybody tell me how to get my hard disk installation to do the same? What's the difference? What can the HD installation be checking and getting wrong that the Live CD isn't?

Comment

Working...
    X