This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde3.5-desktop for Jaunty?

KDE4 needs some getting used to! I'd like to also install kde3.5 alongside kde4.2.2, so I can have the option to use either one. I know there is a remix coming soon, but since I already have 9.04 installed I'd like to just install kde3.5. Where can I find the kubuntu-desktop-kde3 to install?
    AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Re: kde3.5-desktop for Jaunty?

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

Comment

Thanks Mando! Guess I didn't spend enough time looking before I posted. I knew I had seen that info somewhere. I have it installing as I post.

I appreciate the prompt response.
      AMD Athlon 64 4800x2 ; Biostar Tforce 550 ; 2gb ; dual-boot Kubuntu 8.04 & Kubuntu 9.04; Dual-boot XP & Vista.

Comment

Simply installing the package referenced on the pearson page will get you both. However, to get the kde3 packages you need to add /opt/kde3/bin to your path (at least from the command line). Just choose the kde3 option from the session type in the lower right of the login menu. So you don't really need the cd; just the one package.

You can nuke the whole kde4 by purging libqtcore4 and its dependencies, but this isn't needed.

hawk
        Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

thanks so much guys

i keep having the same problem with kde3.5 in both Jaunty and intrepid (i'm in jaunty, now). it seems that whenever i try to access "system settings" from the kde3 menu, i get the crash handler. i CAN access kde4 system settings.

this would be no big deal, except that my monitor never comes up at the correct resolution (the image always runs over the screen borders) accessing the "monitor" tab from kde4 system settings immediately tweaks the screen back to where it should be, even though i dont actually change any settings. seems weird i'm wondering if my X server configuration file needs a tweak... Also, I can't seem to change the wallpaper in Kde4. I know it's fashion not function, but that annoys me.

anyway i was hoping that kde 3.5 would allow me to get back to my normal kde'escque robustness. i don't want to nuke kde4 until i'm sure it won't tank the entire system (this happened to me when i tried it on intrepid). I don't really like kde4, yet. it seems too buggy, still.

I really don't want to go to Gnome or enlightenment, and i can't retrofit back to Hardy because Im on RAID0 and Hardy's really tough to load that way.

Any ideas on how I can get a "pure" kde3 desktop?

Comment

i've asked this elsewhere, but perhaps someone on this thread knows. are the kde-3.5.x packages available separate from the full pearson iso download? reason i ask is that i have not found the recipe for doing a distribution upgrade from CD, just a full new install (to say nothing of the fact that, for instance, on netbooks much of the install screens are off the screen and inaccessible). ideally, one could do a regular dist upgrade, then or later pointing also to a kde-3.5.x repository, all nicely online. i'm happy to have kde-4.x alongside 3.5.x, but really must let kde-4.x ripen a bit before moving entirely to it.

advice and links gratefully appreciated!

Comment

at the top level page, http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/ you can find

To use, add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:
              For Jaunty:
              deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
              deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
              deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
              deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

For Intrepid:
              deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main
              deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

Add the GPG signing key:
              wget http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/public.gpg
              sudo apt-key add public.gpg

To install KDE 3.5:
              sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop-kde3
              This works, and the kdm3 installation will let you chose kdm3 as the base.

hawk
              Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

many, many thanks -- i've been getting no joy because i was going to www.pearsoncomputing.net, not the "apt." part.

duh.

now off to upgrade -- everything!

Comment

alas. i did as suggested. and get "E: Couldn't find package kubuntu-desktop-kde3"

Comment

update: but now, this morning, it seems to have found it and is d/l'ing it now. maybe server ongestion last night?

Comment

Problems with 3.5.10 install

i've d/l'ed and installed the pearsoncomputing kde-3.5.10 packages, but have hit this wall:

Unpacking libkleopatra1-kde3
                      (from .../libkleopatra1-kde3_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu2~intrepid1_i386.deb) ...
                      dpkg: error
                      processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libkleopatra1-kde3_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu2~intrepid1_i386.deb
                      (--unpack):
                      trying to overwrite `/etc/kde3/libkleopatrarc', which is also in
                      package libkleopatra1
                      Unpacking python-kde3-kde3
                      (from .../python-kde3-kde3_3.16.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
                      dpkg: error
                      processing /var/cache/apt/archives/python-kde3-kde3_3.16.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
                      (--unpack):
                      trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/khtml.so',
                      which is also in package python-kde3
                      dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
                      Errors were encountered while processing:
                      /var/cache/apt/archives/libkleopatra1-kde3_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu2~intrepid1_i386.deb
                      /var/cache/apt/archives/python-kde3-kde3_3.16.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
                      E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

upon start, kicker is not populated with the things -- kmenu, clock, etc. -- that are normally there. the panel does have the apps i have manually placed there, but nothing more.

is there a way around this?

Comment

I can tell you how to get around this, but I am not entirely sure what the effect will be. This package manages X.509 certificates and I don't know how well the 2 versions will cooperate. It is not installed on my system, so I don't know exactly what is using it on yours.

Notice that the file they both use is /etc/kde3/libkleopatrarc, a configuration file.

This is how you override the installation problems.
                        sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libkleopatra1-kde3_4%3a3.5.10-0ubuntu2~intrepid1_i386.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/python-kde3-kde3_3.16.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

Comment

thanks. tried it and it seems to have blown up spectacularly. the pertinent parts being:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libkleopatra1-kde3:
                          libkleopatra1-kde3 depends on kdelibs4c2a-kde3 (>= 4:3.5.8-1);
                          however:
                          Package kdelibs4c2a-kde3 is not configured yet.
                          dpkg: error processing libkleopatra1-kde3 (--install):
                          dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                          dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-kde3-kde3:
                          python-kde3-kde3 depends on kdelibs4c2a-kde3 (>= 4:3.5.8-1); however:
                          Package kdelibs4c2a-kde3 is not configured yet.
                          dpkg: error processing python-kde3-kde3 (--install):
                          dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                          Errors were encountered while processing:
                          libkleopatra1-kde3
                          python-kde3-kde3

rebooted and then ran: sudo apt-get -f install and got an impressive run of stuff, and was prompted whether to keep my kdm config (i chose the default, which was "n", keeping my configuration, which i hope is the kde3 kdm).

needed to populate kicker manually, which was kind of strange.

but i guess it worked.

Comment

So it does seem to have worked, although it had to overcome some obstacles. The aptitude -f install after fixing the overwrite problem seems to work.

Comment

yup, seems finally to have worked. though there are still fairly huge kicker issues -- apps that are supposed to dock into the panel don't. for instance, and on a netbook this is critical.

am trying a clean install on a different machine to see if any of this is an upgrade issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X