This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work?

I have a vista laptop and just burned a copy of Kubuntu and tried it out. When it boots up after the scrolling blue bar the screen flashs a few times some codes appears, then i see a flash of the Toshiba logo the a message that sudo is used to log in as root with a promt then Kubuntu starts up. Seems ok then ( wireless wont connect ) when i go to shut down i get a box with ubuntu ttyl login and i click ok then it shuts down.
    My question is will it behave like this if i install it?
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Re: Will it work?

No.
    What you see is typical of a (Toshiba) laptop that tries to decide where to boot from.
    When you install as a dual boot you would after the Tosh logo first get the Grub prompt asking what you want to boot, Kubuntu or Vista.
    Next you'll get the booting of the OS until X (the windowing manager) has started when you get the log in prompt. Here you also have the chance to shut down or change the type of desktop you want (if installed).
    Only after logging in KDE/KDM will start up and you get your desktop.

Shutting down will offer you the various options like shut down, restart and log off.
    First, after saving the settings the (KDE) desktop will be shut down, next the OS will shut down.

About the wireless, you have to find out what type of WIFI hardware you have and then make sure the correct driver is available, I must say on the last three generations of Toshiba's I've had WIFI always worked -out of the box-.
    On some systems the gnome network manager works better than the Knetwork manager, personally I prefer wicd as alternative.

Comment

Re: Will it work?

Thanks will hopefully have 904 by the weekend installed and will report back!
      Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

Working...
      X