This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable installation

Portable boot installation finally arrives in k/ubuntu, now I can create USB start up flash drive, but I don't know how it works. As far as I know there is a folder to save back user settings and files, but what about the software package where do they go ? can I install and remove package from the base system as well ? the only other portable installation I familiar with is Puppy, where all user settings and software package are save as a file, if I delete that file I will lost all changes but the base system, but I can not touch the base system without remastering.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Portable installation

I also find Jaunty has problem creates usb start up disk that will save back changes, I tried that on Intrepid no problem, but on Jaunty it did not save back changes, and the installation (start up disk) will finish before 100%, I am installing to a 4G flash drive.

Comment

Try this for starters http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089474.0

and a good one on remastering http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099957.0

Hope it helps.
      HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Thanks for the info., if I read it correctly, only user settings and files will be saved, nothing mention about software package, is that ??

Comment

First of all, do use usb-creator -- that seem to be the best way to build a live-persistent Kubuntu flash drive.

I have not tried this with 9.04 yet, but I have not heard that it doesn't work.

Finally, it should save software packages as well. For example, I load Thunderbird, Firefox, TestDisk, the latest GParted (sudo apt-get gparted), etc. No problems -- the programs, my data, bookmarks, emails, pics & docs & movies are all saved. But do be sure and allocate enough space for the persistent part of your flash drive: if your flash drive fills up, well, that's a problem that might be difficult to fix (there are ways to fix that, even when you can't boot into the flash drive when it is full). Just allow extra space to be on the safe side.

However, as yet, I have not seen a way to * update * the flash drive -- to update the OS or kernel files. I have seen others try, but without convincing success. My attempts have failed miserably. But that shouldn't matter to most people -- just load up the flash drive and your stuff and enjoy it. When a new version comes out, you might consider re-building the flash drive then. I use mine for rescue/repair/testing.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I tried many times to install usb flash with Jaunty but failed badly, the 4G flash boots up properly but did not save back changes, I end up installed with Portable Linux, but it has some flaw that must manually unmount the flash in the middle, or the installation will fail with error 'mounted volume....'.

http://rudd-o.com/new-projects/portablelinux

I can install and remove packages with portable installation, but my question is where do the new packages go, do they actually replace the base package during upgrade/update, or simply a redirection to the new package on the persistence ? the persistence size can be set during installation, but I've no idea about the base system, does it grow as well ? this matter the size of persistence to use during installation.

Comment

You've thought about this about as much as I have. Lately, I've not had time to pursue the answers to these questions. I don't know about the base system -- THAT is the point of confusion, so it seems. The persistent part--say, casper--will grow until the flashdrive is full and I believe your programs are stored in casper. To be safe, I now use 8 GB, say 4 for the base system and 4 for persistence.

I'm just not sure, frankly, what the answer to your main question is. One can experiment and find out, but, well, that takes time and patience. For example, gparted comes with Kubuntu, let's say; but if you upgrade it (sudo apt-get install gparted), and let's say you DO get an upgrade, where does that upgrade go? Seems it goes wherever the base system had it (and not in any persistent file you made). But then, some of my experiments suggest otherwise (e.g., installing TestDisk). This is where I don't have the answers (yet). We have other members who have also messed with this; maybe they will see this thread and chime in.

When you installed to the flash drive using usb-creator, did you see a box to check for persistence? As I recall, you have to look for it; it's not very prominent.

Another good distro for this is sidux. I wrote a WIKI article on it.
              http://sidux.com/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=siduxUFD
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That's great I am not alone on this, hopefully some one will clear out the cloud the logic behind this persistent thing. My next question would be the delay write back mechanism, like on Puppy the changes write back in predefined interval to reduce the flash wear out, so that the shutdown will take longer, I don't know if this can apply to Ubuntu as well.

Comment

I address the subject of wear-out in that article. I have never heard of K/Ubuntu, sidux, or other (e.g., Mint) being optimized for the flash drive (as is Puppy). My advice for Kubuntu (or for sidux) is: (1) use ext2 (not ext3), and (2) make frequent backups, including a dd clone of your flash drive (my how-to's show how). According to some manufacturers (and other insider advice I've seen), wear-out may not even be a real issue _in practice_, no more so that any other wear-out issues with other drives (HDDs). But, not to debate it. Kubuntu/sidux are not so optimized as is Puppy. Puppy is ideal for that.

Comment

Yes, that's why I always have my Puppy around just in case, I use Ubuntu at home mainly, it would be great if it does portable well, so that I can have same set of apps with me all the time.

Comment

I haven't yet had opportunity to try my usb install on another machine, but its working on my machine.

Heres what I get with fdisk

*****@fKubuntu:/$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
                      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
                      Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
                      Disk identifier: ##########

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                      /dev/sda1 * 128583 236798099 118334758+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
                      /dev/sda2 63 128519 64228+ 6 FAT16
                      /dev/sda3 236798100 257280974 10241437+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
                      /dev/sda4 257280975 312576704 27647865 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
                      /dev/sda5 257281038 277747784 10233373+ 83 Linux
                      /dev/sda6 277747848 281956814 2104483+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
                      /dev/sda7 * 281956878 282149594 96358+ 83 Linux
                      /dev/sda8 282149658 302616404 10233373+ 83 Linux
                      /dev/sda9 302616468 312576704 4980118+ 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 8086 MB, 8086618112 bytes
                      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 983 cylinders, total 15794176 sectors
                      Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
                      Disk identifier: ##########

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                      /dev/sdb1 * 63 14811929 7405933+ 83 Linux
                      /dev/sdb2 14811930 15791894 489982+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
                      *****@fKubuntu:~$

I had a little grub issue after install thats fixed.

I just installed 8.04 on 8 GB usb stick. It proceded to finish but at boot (grub) it couldn't find my root (/). Turns out during install it

recognized my hdd as (hd0) and usb as (hd1) so I had to edit in grub (e) and edit the line root (hd1) to root (hd0) . I guess

during boot grub sees the usb as (hd0) cause its booting from it. I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to correct the problem. Boot is

fine now.

During install I specified installing grub (boot loader) on my usb stick (/dev/sdb) cause I didn't know what (hd?) to use.

t might use my swap on /dev/sda6 but I have one on /dev/sdb2, anyone know will it work on another machine?

Thats what I created the swap partition for.

I'm just playing with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X