X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From 8.10 to 9.04: Dist-upgrade or install from scratch

Hi,
    I have a perfectly working kubuntu 8.10 in my PC and notebook. With the inminent release of 9.04 comes to me a dilema.
    Do I have to do a dist-upgrado? or Do I have to do a reinstall from the scratch?
    I have no problem on reinstalling the system but now I have Broadband at home so I can do a distupgrade as well.
    I need to know if it is the same thing. What are the pros of each one and which of the options do you recomend me.

Thank you.

PD: I hope that do you understand my crappy english, i am from argentina and spanish is my primary languaje.

Re: From 8.10 to 9.04: Dist-upgrade or install from scratch

In my own experience, doing a dist-upgrade worked fine every time, with only very minor problems to sort out on occasion. You might want to prepare for a full reinstall, but try the upgrade first. If all goes well then you're fine. But if something breaks and you can't fix it you can always do the full reinstall at that point.

But as I said, I never had a major problem upgrading between versions. I did so from 6.04 all the way to 8.10.

Comment

Re: From 8.10 to 9.04: Dist-upgrade or install from scratch

If upgrade fails, keep the .deb's in /var/cache/apt/archives before blasting the file system. This can save an amazing amount of download time.

I got to the end of an 8.04 to 9.04b upgrade before it blew up in my face. A full running system, but no X (which finally went away on the last round of packages). I finally just blew away the old install.

(to leapfrog 8.10, you need to hand upgrade libc6 and *mumble*, which depend on each other. One, though, depends on the version from 8.10 "or later", while the other depends on the current version. You can install the pair from 8.10 by finding them on the server, downloading, then installing with dselect. I can't tell you where X went wrong).

hawk
      Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

Working...
      X