This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing after booting up

After Kubuntu boots up and the desktop loads everything locks up keyboard and mouse. I done a fresh install on a 40g hard drive. It's a 650mHz AMD machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Freezing after booting up

I noticed that the hard-drive light stays solid after it locks up. It shows that htere is some errors after the akonadi server starts up. It doesn't stay on the screen long enough to read the errors though.

Comment

Are you able to boot the system to the console using rescue mode?
      Are you able to boot the system into the KDE desktop using a live CD?

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Hi, looks like your problem just ever happen to me. I have install Kubuntu 8.04 on Celleron 1.6 GHz machine and after booting just froozen, desktop can load but mouse and keyboards won't responding. But then I found that the problem just occured to video card -- G-Force 5.5 GLX do not seem support, then I replace it with another one -- Eagle VGA*, and then fixed.

Comment

The video is on the motherboard. It will load the desktop and the recovery console. The desktop loads and after you hear the welcome sound it locks up. I have been threw the repair broken pkgs. and it fails a lot of the updates (not downloading a lot of the updates) I also chose drop to root shell with networking. It downloads some of the packages but if fails most of them. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Do you have any desctop effect turned on? If so, just turn them down, also you can try to log in using safe mode.

Comment

Not quite sure what is going on, if it's crashing from the console.
              I would still try to load a live CD and see if the system will start that way.
              If not, you may need to try an alternative installation with VESA video driver.
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

How can I do an alternative installation?

Comment

When installing from a live CD, hit F4 for alternative options.
                  There is also an "alternative live cd" which, I believe, uses a different install process. Don't know, never had to try it. It might help.

Comment

well i am sorry to hear it didn't work . i did say however that i hadn't tested it . ill stick to art work that seems to work better.....

Comment

I am not sure what yo have done since you posted about many files failing to download from the root console, but most of your problems can probably be fixed from that point by running
                      sudo aptitude update
                      and then
                      sudo aptitude -f full-upgrade
                      This should first download a new list of available software to update the apt database and then install the newest versions of the software you have installed.

If you do that and it still stops after the splash screen you could get to the terminal using CTL-ALT-F1, login and run
                      cd .kde/share/config
                      and
                      rm plasmarc plasma-appletsrc
                      This will remove the configuration files for Plasma and the next time you login to the GUI they will be recreated. Now restart kdm by running
                      sudo invoke-rc.d kdm stop
                      and then
                      sudo invoke-rc.d kdm start
                      The odds are good that this wil fix your problems. Goog Luck.

Comment

I tried the sudo aptitude update and the sudo aptitude -f full upgrade but neither one of them done anything. I'm in the process of installing using the live cd. I installed the alternate cd last night and it would lock up after I got to the login screen. I will post after the install and try the things that you said to try. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I have noticed that while doing an apt-get update most of the time it doesn't download anything. In the known issues it says that the KNetworkManager is as buggy as ever. nm-applet is recommended, but not installed by default. How do I install this from the command prompt?

Comment

I done the sudo aptitude update and the sudo aptitude -f full-upgrade and it comes up with a window that says configuring console-setup. Which encoding do I use it shows UTF-8 is selected. I chose the UTF-8 yesterday and a lot of the updates wouldn't install. It kept trying to get the updates but it wouldn't so I reinstalled using the Live CD. So I ran the commands again but I wanted to be sure that I select the correct encoding before beginning. Thanks

Comment

UTF-8 should work fine unless you have a special need.

Comment

Working...
                              X