This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kexec and reboot question

I like the idea and the speed with which one can now reboot a particular kernel, but how can one reboot completely back to the grub menu now? I dual-boot and more times than not, when I reboot it is because I want to change the OS. Does there exist a method to do this now? Currently, the only way I know to do this is to completely power-down, which seems a little overkill for what I am trying to accomplish.

Re: kexec and reboot question

As far as I know, the only way to get to the grub menu is to boot grub.

sudo reboot

Or else load the kshutdown applet (which actually works in 9.04).

Followup comment:
    The kernel loads after grub, so you have to get out of the kernel to get the grub menu.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried the kshutdown applet and it seems to call the reboot process in the same way, that is, it boots the same kernel bypassing the grub menu. I had the same results when using the "reboot" command without parameters. However, I found that calling reboot with "-d -f -i" *does* take me back to the grub menu. It doesn't appear to me to be a very graceful shutdown though.

I saw one post somewhere where someone suggested you could issue a "/etc/init.d/kexec stop" and then reboot as normal but for some reason this suggestion doesn't work for me.

Comment

Are you saying that K->Leave-> reboot does not bring you back to the grub "push esc in 2 seconds" message? On my system even "Logout" causes a complete reboot of the computer rather than a restart of the X server. When I run reboot or shutdown -h now or shutdown -r now it seems to hang until it give it a CTL-ALT-DEL, at which point I get a message about md drives and a reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
          Are you saying that K->Leave-> reboot does not bring you back to the grub "push esc in 2 seconds" message?
          Yes, that is exactly it except it is more than just a restart of the x server. I'm not on that machine at the moment so I may need to edit this a bit later but, when I use K->Leave->Reboot it does the graceful shutdown as normal, then as it is rebooting I see something to the effect of: "kexec loading new kernel in memory" and it then proceeds to load the (same) new kernel.

It never takes me back to the bios and grub screens. That is, unless I issue "reboot -d -f -i" as I stated earlier.

Comment

Ok, I finally found something solid on this. It appears to be a bug in kexec-tools

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/251242/

Thanks for all the replies / suggestions!

EDIT: You can disable this behavior, in /etc/default/kexec change "LOAD_KEXEC=false"

Comment

Working...
            X