Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok questions about upgrading to jaunty. (noob please be gentle? ;) )

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok questions about upgrading to jaunty. (noob please be gentle? ;) )

Ok I am still pretty much a babe in terms of linux and kubuntu...

So when it is time to upgrade to 9.04 (which I very much want to do because my WiFi card is now better supported) if I do this through konsole does that mean that I don't have to re-install things like the medibuntu repositories and my software that I currently have on the system? I have things pretty much set-up the way I want them and I would really hate to have to re-install everything since it took me a while to fine-tune my machine just the way I want it.

I've never really done a distro upgrade before so this is just as new to me as the day I first wiped windows and installed Kubuntu for the first time...

Re: Ok questions about upgrading to jaunty. (noob please be gentle? )

Wait another month for it to be officially released, then follow these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ja...grades/Kubuntu
    # make install --not-war

Comment

If you are new to linux, follow russlar's advice and wait for the release (though the beta is quite stable at the moment, there still might be breakage before the release. At this stage in development I wouldn't expect anything major, but it can take a bit of knowledge to fix even smaller issues.

As for your other questions, the upgrades shouldn't touch your personal settings (unless it's absolutely vital for the new version to function). Some system wide settings (defaults) may change in /etc, but your add-on software will be kept (provided that they are compatible with the new version).

Comment

Ooops... too late...

I found the link to upgrade in the ubuntu documentation and did it last night.... I don't seem to be having any problems though.....

It does seem VERY nice though, with lots of new features... I like it. I'll just be very careful for the time being... I just really wanted to try out the working version I guess.. I'm going to be installing a larger HD soon anyway, so I will just wait to do that until the new version is officially released and then re-install things when I get the new HD..

Comment

Sometimes jumping in with both feet is the best answer ... Congrats and welcome.

Comment

Working...
          X