This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kudos to JJ 9.04 and the Kubuntu Team

Yes, I agree. KDE 4.2.1 is light years ahead of KDE 4.1.3. Likewise, I use GoogleEarth and Stellarium and note the response time, as well.

Cheers,
    zenarcher
    Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

(Struggling here to select an Intel mobo to build E8400 with ...)

Am I reading all this to correctly conclude that JJ 9.04 should work all the way compatible with the Intel DG45ID mobo? (embedded) video, sound, and Internet?
      http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...D-overview.htm

Some past reviews are mixed on the G45 chipset wrt K/Ubuntu.

Related:
      Anyone finding they need to flash the BIOS on that board immediately after install?
      Or, again, does the board seem to go straightaway OK with JJ?

Any input/links appreciated.
      Thanks.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I am very impressed with JJ and KDE 4. So impressed that when I first tried it out I immediately left Gnome that I've been using since Feisty Fawn. There's nothing wrong with Gnome, but KDE 4 is just amazing...it put the fun back in the game!

So thanks ever so much to the developers!! GREAT work!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          (Struggling here to select an Intel mobo to build E8400 with ...)

Am I reading all this to correctly conclude that JJ 9.04 should work all the way compatible with the Intel DG45ID mobo? (embedded) video, sound, and Internet?
          http://www.intel.com/products/deskto...D-overview.htm

Some past reviews are mixed on the G45 chipset wrt K/Ubuntu.

Related:
          Anyone finding they need to flash the BIOS on that board immediately after install?
          Or, again, does the board seem to go straightaway OK with JJ?

Any input/links appreciated.
          Thanks.
          It appears that it should. Now the HDMI connection I'm not too sure about. I still have VGA connectors, but I don't see how a connector would matter. Most Intel based systems I have seem to always work. The only issues I ever have had with on-board Graphics is they don't seem powerful enough for some high end games, but that is it. I would set the Graphics memory in the BIOS at full maximum. All in all, that MB seems great! Good luck and let us know!

Comment

Thanks for that, MoonRise.
            But I think this time, for several reasons, I'm going with Intel DG33FBC, which should also be OK.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Bah -- I wasn't paying attention and missed your post, Mike.

I recently installed Kubuntu on an Asus P5Q Pro. This was 8.10 because it was just before 9.04 Beta became available. 8.10 had a problem with the Attansic ethernet chip, and you had to compile the driver yourself. I was pressed for time and ended up installing sidux on it, since there was a driver in the Live CD for that chip. That was the only issue I found. I don't know whether 9.04 has the Attansic driver module pre-built or not. Otherwise that Asus motherboard is a sweet solution -- still uses DDR2 memory, which is now practically being given away. I put an E8500 on it with 2G of memory and it really screams -- my grandson uses it to play MMOG games on the Win XP side, and does his browsing and e-mailing on the Linux side.

Comment

Like OMG!!!

I've been testing 9.04 and never bothered to look at portions of my laptop that never have worked. They were no big deal. The indicator light for my "active" wireless card now works! I was shocked! I just happen to look down for some reason and there it was. Disabled the connection and it went off. Enabled and on it came. It's amazing how the little things excite!

Also, the screen brightness adjustment slide (within power manager from the Battery widget) now works as well!

KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This thread gives me hope that 9.04 might be the Kubuntu I've been waiting for.

My only concern is that the machines that the praisers have (where they show in their respective sigs) are way above spec compared to my hardware platform. I have ordered a 9.04 CD through Shipit and will give it a try, having learned along the way that no Alpha, Beta, or RC of any *buntu has successfully worked on my machine since 7.10. Finals do well, except for 8.10 with KDE4 -- which was way past unstable out of the box and not worth the salvage effort.

I'll see what happens next month! Thanks guys, and thanks to the Kubuntu and KDE folks for working so hard at make computing better!!
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                  X