This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudos to JJ 9.04 and the Kubuntu Team

Installed JJ Alpha 6 on an AMD Sempron LE1100. By no means a work horse and the graphics card minimal and on board. I have EXT4 as the root FS and XRendering to control the compositing effects (effect speed @ Instant). WOW! Smoothest running I've seen this. Had other OSs on this machine and they were all slow and offered little in way of Eye Candy. I like the Network Manager Widget. That was sorely needed. Everything runs great. Only Crashed once and that was me doing some WINE testing on it. No major errors or crashes due to the OS. This is amazing, especially for an ALPHA! Way to go Kubuntu Team!

Re: Kudos to JJ 9.04 and the Kubuntu Team

+1
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good to see more users enjoying Kubuntu. 9.04 is really shaping up well.

Comment

Hello ,

I'm new here, because of Jaunty Jackalope I've used Mandriva for a very long time, but now I've switched to Kubuntu.
        I've tried so many distributions with KDE 4, but nothing comes close to Kubuntu 9.04.
        I'm so overwhelmed by this wonderful system, although it's alpha stage, it's the most stable distro you can get with KDE 4.2, great work by the Kubuntu Team.

Comment

Thank you all for the nice comments

The Kubuntu team has been working very hard to polish up the new KDE, and it shows. I forwarded your remarks to the team so they can see your appreciation.

Comment

Easiest install I have ever done too.

In fact if I am honest it was easier than doing an upgrade
            Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
              Thank you all for the nice comments

The Kubuntu team has been working very hard to polish up the new KDE, and it shows. I forwarded your remarks to the team so they can see your appreciation.
              I have used 9,04 as my working OS since 9.04 Alpha 3. No major mishaps; generally smooth sailing. My losses occurred on 8.10 which was supposed to be my backup working system.

They say using an Alpha version as working OS is not recommended. They are most likely correct. But I trust this Alpha from Kubuntu. It has not disappointed me. Compliments to the Kubuntu team. Keep up the good work. We appreciate your efforts.

Comment

I too would like to compliment the Kubuntu Team, along with the KDE4 team, the Debian developers and all the others that jointly make this possible. I have used Debian for years and loved it. About 3 weeks ago I decide to try Kubuntu. I first installed Intrepid and quickly upgraded to Jaunty. There have been remarkably few problems and KDE4 seemed so fast I had to dig out a dinosaur and see if it would be workable. A pentium 450, 8G PATA disk, 320 MB RAM, 16MB 3DFX Fusion and 15" analog monitor. So slow I could not use it for anything but a firewall and don't need it for that.

It installed cleanly, worked after one aptitude -f full-upgrade, and I expect that a few years ago I might have been satisfied with the performance. It would not let me enable compiz though. Ran out of resources.

Comment

My story is the same as universe777. I've been a Mandriva user for better than three years, but JJ has replaced it. I'm so happy with JJ and it's so stable, even while still in Alpha state that I'm using it for my primary computer, as well as on my test box. Everything I use, "just works." Lately, Mandriva has had some really serious bugs and they don't seem to get fixed. That, or packages are updated, but some necessary package often seems to have been "forgotten," leaving me with a trashed system.

I maintain several computers for different people and have been switching them to JJ from Mandriva and other distros, as well. Keep up the good work Kubuntu!!

Cheers,
                  zenarcher
                  Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

kudos from me too.
                    using alpha version in production on my 2 laptops.
                    speechless!

just 2 (minor) issues:
                    - package management in kubuntu really seems to be without hope
                    - oh my god what happened to amarok
                    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I finally jumped aboard the Jaunty ship yesterday. Fast install and the thing works great so far.

KDE is looking sharp and has been very tame as well.

What's really making me happy is every single HDD was auto mounted and accessable without my having to jump through hoops. Intrepid gave me no end of trouble with this...

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by zenarcher
                        My story is the same as universe777. I've been a Mandriva user for better than three years, but JJ has replaced it. I'm so happy with JJ and it's so stable, even while still in Alpha state that I'm using it for my primary computer, as well as on my test box. Everything I use, "just works." Lately, Mandriva has had some really serious bugs and they don't seem to get fixed. That, or packages are updated, but some necessary package often seems to have been "forgotten," leaving me with a trashed system.

I maintain several computers for different people and have been switching them to JJ from Mandriva and other distros, as well. Keep up the good work Kubuntu!!

Cheers,
                        zenarcher
                        Zenarcher,
                        I thought I recognized you. I, too, switched from a Mandriva 2009 PWP installation. While the Mandriva could not recognize my G45 video chip, JJ did so easily, and correctlys setup the 1600X900 display size and the accelerated 3D drivers. Much faster, too!
                        GG
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GreyGeek...yes, the same zenarcher! 8). Mandriva 2009.1 has given me fits with setting up my HP multi-function printer on my wireless network. No problem at all with JJ. I know I've filed three or four bugs with Mandriva and eventually just closed them, as they had been assigned, but just sat until after the related release was outdated. It's frustrating! JJ has just worked great with all my hardware here and package availability is great, too!

Cheers,
                          zenarcher
                          Kubuntu 16.10 (64 Bit)<br />MSI K9NGM4-V V2<br />AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+<br />4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM<br />NVIDIA GeForce 210 PCI-E 1MB<br />WD 250GB SATA HD<br />Dell SP2009W Flat Panel Monitor

Comment

Fresh JJ install here. so far so good.

next project is instaling a at&t usb 3g broadband modem and setting this box up to be the internet connection server for my house. I currently am using a xp laptop in that capacity and want it free to go around the house (with a GOOD OS on it) :P

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by zenarcher
                              GreyGeek...yes, the same zenarcher! 8). Mandriva 2009.1 has given me fits with setting up my HP multi-function printer on my wireless network. No problem at all with JJ. I know I've filed three or four bugs with Mandriva and eventually just closed them, as they had been assigned, but just sat until after the related release was outdated. It's frustrating! JJ has just worked great with all my hardware here and package availability is great, too!

Cheers,
                              zenarcher
                              I posted my G45 bug and watched it from October to February, when they final found what they though was a fix. I figured that it would take 4-6 months for the fix to work its way into a Mandriva update. I heard that JJ was in ALPHA and on a whim gave its LiveCD a spin. I was STUNNED to get a 1600X900 display with active 3D acceleration. GoogleEarth is lightening fast, and Stellarium gives me 67 fps. Mandriva got about 12, which made Stellarium jumpy.

IMO, KDE 4.2.1 is MUCH improved over KDE 4.1.3. On my Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H Jaunty runs like a release, not an ALPHA. If it is THIS GOOD now, I am looking forwared to when it leaves BETA and goes GOLD.
                              GG

Comment

Working...
                              X