Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to upgrade from JJ alpha 4 to alpha 5?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to upgrade from JJ alpha 4 to alpha 5?

Or do you have to reinstall completely from the CD?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Is it possible to upgrade from JJ alpha 4 to alpha 5?

nope, as you update you are getting even newer packages, so if you installed alpha 4, and updated daily, today you would be newer than alpha 5

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      nope, as you update you are getting even newer packages, so if you installed alpha 4, and updated daily, today you would be newer than alpha 5
      Well, I haven't upgraded daily, but every few days -- including today. So I should be good (aside from not testing the new installer).

Great, thanks.

Uh, meow...
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from JJ alpha 4 to alpha 5 without reinstall from the CD.

Update package database:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Upgrade packages:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        or
        Code:
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        > FAQ: Package Managers
        > FAQ: Repositories

Alpha (1-6), Beta, RC

Those are "only" milestones.

> Milestone jaunty-alpha-6 for Ubuntu

If you have updated your Jaunty (there are daily updates) you are past the Alpha-5, almost Alpha-6 > JauntyReleaseSchedule: March 12th - Alpha 6
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Does that apply for the beta -- and why not for the general release -- also? I mean, that it's enough to do regular upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
            Does that apply for the beta -- and why not for the general release -- also? I mean, that it's enough to do regular upgrades.
            There's no harm in it, and no reason not to use apt-get dist-upgrade whenever you run your updates.

Comment

I am just lazy and do:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I admit that I haven't understood the difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade. And I don't find the man page of apt-get to be very helpful on the subject:

"An update should always be performed before an upgrade or dist-upgrade."

and...

"dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing
                dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
                attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. So,
                dist-upgrade command may remove some packages."

Can you explain that in simple English?

Comment

That means that Dist-Upgrade doesn't upgrade the programs installed, it upgrades the version of Kubuntu.

Sometimes Kubuntu will change programs between versions. Especially during the Alpha stages, and sometimes during the Beta stages.

An example (a poor one, but go with it.)

For instance say Kubuntu exchanged Juk, for Amarok. If you ran an earlier version of Kubuntu with Juk, and wanting to "upgrade", the regular "upgrade" would not replace Juk with Amarok, but would instead update Juk to the latest version available.

Some of the other features may not work as well with Juk, as with Amarok, and those features may not be installed either. However, "dist-upgrade" would replace Juk with Amarok.

---------------------

Or If Kubuntu upgraded from KDE3, to KDE4. "apt-get upgrade" would not install KDE4, but only upgrade KDE3. "apt-get dist-upgrade" would replace KDE3, with KDE4.
                  The answers are out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster_user
                    That means that Dist-Upgrade doesn't upgrade the programs installed, it upgrades the version of Kubuntu.
                    Obviously, I think your first part of explanation is wrong.

Let me explain my first viewpoint:

apt-get dist-upgrade will correctly handle the dependencies when the dependencies changed.

apt-get upgrade does not handle it, it simply refused to install them, (often) result with an unusable system, because the new system is mixed with old softwares and new softwares.

So, for most users, you can simply ignore the difference between dist-upgrade and upgrade, *always use dist-upgrade* is my best-practice, which reduces the chance of corrupting your system.

when you want to do security upgrade within the ubuntu version, use apt-get dist-upgrade or aptitude full-upgrade

My second viewpoint:

DON'T use apt-get to upgrade your ubuntu between versions (i.e. 8.04 vs 8.10), you should never use apt-get to upgrade between versions, *always use the stand program*: do-release-upgrade to do release upgrades.

IMO do-release-upgrade is the only utility which can reliably upgrade your ubuntu, so just keep with it if you want to upgrade (say) 8.10 to 9.04.

Comment

Originally posted by pansz
                      Obviously, I think your first part of explanation is wrong.

Let me explain my first viewpoint:
                      Well, perhaps it was a bad choice of words... Its difficult to explain why there would be a mix of old, and new when you've chosen to upgrade the system. More so, why it would be a problem.

When a dependency changes, is perhaps a different "sub-version". Such as going from depending on an aRts backend, to a Xine backend, or another backend for audio. While the actual Kubuntu "Release Version" remains the same.

As I said, its difficult for me to explain.

Originally posted by Apt-get
                      apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will
                      attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
                      Originally posted by pansz
                      apt-get upgrade does not handle it, it simply refused to install them, (often) result with an unusable system, because the new system is mixed with old softwares and new softwares.
                      Perhaps that explained it better...
                      The answers are out there...

Comment

Working...
                      X