This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need lots of boot-up help.

Silly me. All was going well in Alpha 4 until I did an update. Then I lost some plasmas & I no longer could log out.
    So, I downloaded Alpha 5 & installed over. All looked well but I needed to update my Nvidia driver. I had heard v180.35 was causing some problems but the installer said it was v180.22 (I think, but diffidently not 180.35). 1st I did a system upgrade. Then during the Nvidia update, all it said was v180, nothing happened, 0 download progress for about 5 minutes, so I canceled - then re-booted.
    Now things have really gone haywire. While booting I see a lot of script & part of it is about Nvidia v180.35. Eventually, it promps for a password but fails to log in; it just hangs there.
    Is there anything I can do to boot to my desktop, then install an older Nvidia driver?

Re: Need lots of boot-up help.

You don't need to boot to the desktop to install the old driver.

When it hangs, press Ctrl+alt+F1 to get to a console. Then do this after you login:

Code:
    cd /var/cache/apt/archives
    sudo dpkg -i nvidia-180-kernel-source_180.22* nvidia-glx-180_180.22*
    Now, 'sudo reboot' and you'll be back to 180.22.
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Working...
    X