This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Resolved] Upgrade from 8.10 > 9.04 failed

Because of the problems I was having with my 9.04 test system, I decided to wipe it clean and start over. I made a copy of my kubuntu-8.10 system onto an SSD card, changed fstab and menu.lst so it would boot, and booted into it. Fine, system as it should be.
    I know one -should- upgrade without X running, but my "rescue" menu on this system does not include "root shell with network" (on Ubuntu, it does), so I booted into the whole system, and ran, as instructed, "update-manager -d". After a few steps, it proceeded to download several hours worth of stuff. Then it started the upgrade, and crashed about 2 hours into it. Froze the whole system. Had to do a hard poweroff.
    Powered back on and booted into the root shell, figuring everything it needed from the net was already there. Ran "apt-get dist-upgrade"; it said I needed to run "dpkg --configure -a". I did that, it ran for a few minutes, and ended with a list of stuff, and a message, "Too many errors. Processing halted" (or something close to that) Ran "apt-get dist-upgrade" again, it ran for a while, then spit out the same message, Too many errors, and quit. (Sorry but I do not know how to paste from the root shell into another system's browser)
    OK, so we are basically stuck at this point. I have over 20gb of software in this system, so starting from scratch is not a realistic option. Is there a way I can do the upgrade? I would, if possible, like to save the hours of downloading I have done. The files are all still there in /var/cache/apt/archives.
    Can I run the upgrade chrooted from another system, without risking hosing the system I am running from? Any other ideas?
    So many questions, but I am stuck at this point.

Further:

I tried to chroot into the broken system, and did an apt-get update.
    After running through the usual Hit stuff, got this error message:

Code:
    Failed to open connection to "system" message bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
    E: Problem executing scripts APT::Update::Post-Invoke-Success '/usr/bin/dbus-send --system --dest=org.freedesktop.PackageKit --type=method_call /org/freedesktop/PackageKit org.freedesktop.PackageKit.StateHasChanged string:'cache-update''
    E: Sub-process returned an error code
    Looks like that isn't going to work, at least not that way.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Upgrade from 8.10 > 9.04 failed

I tried the upgrade again, and it failed again.

I wiped out my test system, recopied kubuntu to the usb drive, and downloaded the updates using
    "apt-get dist-upgrade -d". After everything downloaded, I rebooted into the root shell, and did the
    "apt-get dist-upgrade". It worked for a while, then crashed. Here is the python.0.crash file just before it quit:

Code:
     Setting up python (2.6.1-0ubuntu1) ...
     running python rtupdate hooks for python2.6...
     Compiling /usr/lib/pitivi/python/pitivi/objectfactory.py ...
     SyntaxError: ('invalid syntax', ('/usr/lib/pitivi/python/pitivi/objectfactory.py', 399, 14, '      as = self.audio_info_stream\n'))

pycentral: pycentral updatedefault: error byte-compiling files (55)
     pycentral updatedefault: error byte-compiling files (55)
     error running python rtupdate hook pycentral
     Updating *.pc symlinks for python-gst0.10...
     dpkg: error processing python (--configure):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 4
     dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-central:
     python-central depends on python (>= 2.4.3-10); however:
     Package python is not configured yet.
     dpkg: error processing python-central (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
     dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of lsb-release:
     lsb-release depends on python; however:
     Package python is not configured yet.
     dpkg: error processing lsb-release (--configure):
     dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of launchpad-integration:
     launchpad-integration depends on python-central (>= 0.6.11); however:
     Package python-central is not configured yet.
     launchpad-integration depends on lsb-release; however:
     Package lsb-release is not configured yet.
     dpkg: error processing launchpad-integration (--configure):
     dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdelibs5:
     kdelibs5 depends on launchpad-integration; ho
    greenman@wolfenstein:/media/Jaunt
    OK, I think I have this pinned down a little better now.
    After running "dpkg --configure -a" repeatedly until I get the same output, here it is:
    Code:
    Setting up python (2.6.1-0ubuntu1) ...
    running python rtupdate hooks for python2.6...
    Compiling /usr/lib/pitivi/python/pitivi/objectfactory.py ...
    SyntaxError: ('invalid syntax', ('/usr/lib/pitivi/python/pitivi/objectfactory.py',399, 14, '      as = self.audio_info_stream\n'))

pycentral: pycentral updatedefault: error byte-compiling files (55)
    Updating *.pc symlinks for python-gst0.10...
    Looks like python is dying. Any ideas how to proceed?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what your goal is. If it is to troubleshoot the reasons why a dist-upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 doesn't work well at the Alpha 5 state of 9.04 development, I think you're probably on the right track. If you are attempting to install and make some use of a Kubuntu 9.04 system, then I would recommend making a Live CD from the latest daily build ISO file from here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

and use that to install 9.04 in the conventional manner.

Comment

I am trying to upgrade an existing kubuntu-8.10 system to 9.04, to test whether the upgrade will work or not. Upgrading from 8.10 to 9.04a4 did work, but left some irritating problems. So I cleared off the 9.04a4, made another copy of the 8.10, and tried to upgrade to 9.04a5, with the sad results shown above. What I really want to figure out is whether this is an alpha headache, or if there is something wrong in my existing system that may preclude upgrading to beta or rc. Maybe too soon to tell.

Comment

OK.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the *buntu upgrade process, and I say that knowing that a lot of effort has gone into it by the developers. My experiences with it have been "mixed".

For example, yesterday, after running updates, I attempted to run the dist-upgrade on a relative's Kubuntu 8.04 system that I originally built as a 7.04 system. It had upgraded successfully from 7.04 to 7.10, and from 7.10 to 8.04. I just now got around to trying the upgrade to 8.10. Nothing -- the Distribution Upgrade button on Adept Manager is lighted up, but clicking on it produced nada. I'm not shocked. If I try it again in a week, it might work, or it might not. She might be running 8.04 for the rest of her life ....

Comment

Yep, could be breakage in the upgrade process.
            The other thing that's strange is that the upgrade is trying to install two versions of python -- 2.5x and 2.6x.
            That's where the process is breaking. I know nothing about python, or whether the two versions can coexist.
            Oh well, a6 is coming.

Comment

Python is a programming library (GCC/G++), often used for simpler programs.

Multiple versions of Python can coexist. I'm not sure why its breaking.
              The answers are out there...

Comment

Thanks.
                It's the python stuff that is not installing. The packages say they won't install without the python-support package. When I try to install python-support, it says python is not installed. When I try to install the python packages, they install without reporting any errors. But the python-supports still won't install, and that's sinking the whole ship.
                I guess we wait for the next release on this one.

Comment

The error is in one of pitivi's python scripts.

The one thing to do is to simply remove pitivi

sudo apt-get remove pitivi

Comment

I am not sure if upgrading to an alpha release is supported at all just yet, there are still too many things in flux. I'd wait until betas, and even the rc's before attempting this sort of upgrade.

Also, there seems \to have been a python update recently that has broken a few things at the moment. For me it is Miro.

Comment

Yoohoo:
                      Thanks for the tip. Worked like a dose of liquid plummer. The whole upgrade went through.
                      Had to do apt-get install a couple of times to clean out some problems, but otherwise everything is
                      working now. Even the network manager plasmoid!
                      There may still be a few glitches, but it's booted and running.
                      I guess we'll find out what pitivi broke at some future point.
                      Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X