This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nepomukserver crashes just after login of Jaunty

I have heard that Jaunty Alpha 4 is quite stable and would like to install it. However, whenever I try it with the live CD, I get a message saying that the nepomukserver has crashed. This also happened with alpha 3.

Do I care?

I don't know what the nepomukserver is. Yes, I've looked at the web page for it, but it could be in latin for all I understand what it's about. If this is another thing like Strigi, I do not need it -- at least, not that I know of.

So again, do I care? Or can I go ahead and install Jaunty?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Nepomukserver crashes just after login of Jaunty

If this is another thing like Strigi, I do not need it -- at least, not that I know of.

So again, do I care? Or can I go ahead and install Jaunty?

Here, with the JJ, Nepomukserver is crashing now and then :
    Sorry, the program "nepomukservicestub" closed unexpectedly...

Bug reports: > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...me/+bug/317712
    There are 30+ duplicates of this bug .

To me it seems that the "semantic desktop" (and the strigi) are the future things that will work someday .
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131

Here, with the JJ, Nepomukserver is crashing now and then :
      Sorry, the program "nepomukservicestub" closed unexpectedly...

Bug reports: > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...me/+bug/317712
      There are 30+ duplicates of this bug .

To me it seems that the "semantic desktop" (and the strigi) are the future things that will work someday .
      That's exactly my program. Are all those 30+ folks using JJ anyway? If so, I'll go ahead and install it.

Thanks.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Well. Been running alpha 4 now and before that alpha 3 for about two-three weeks at work ( cos they use windoze!) on a pen drive and it is really good. Like you nepomuk died straight away however it seems fine now...as for what it does...who knows!

Have not got a clue!

Yet!

Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

yea i get the same "crash report" everytime i log in. submitted a bug report blah blah blah

it dose do it on ubuntu and kubuntu gnome and kde but dosn't really seem to effect anything bad
          Still lerning linux after all these years<br />Kubuntu 9.04<br />

Comment

Ok, I'll relax and enjoy it while waiting for the Beta version.

Comment

What does it do, this nepomukserver thingy? I installed JJa4 on a play-around computer last night, and as mentioned by..well...everyone, nepomukserver took a dive nearly instantaneous. I have seen mention of it in the terminal before, but I have no idea what it is for.

Comment

As near as I can tell from the nearly non-existent documentation, the nepomuk/strigi stuff is an indexing and search system that is supposed to work with dolphin. to enable you to find files by their contents. If you are looking for the file that had a particular word or phase in it, this stuff is supposed to find it.
                Probably useless to most people, unless you have an extensive library of files that you need to look stuff up in.
                On the other hand, since khelpcenter fails more often than it works, an index of /usr/share/doc would be useful. I installed the beagle search system, which does work, and fills this need quite well. You pay for it in cpu slices while it's indexing, but once it's done its index of the doc tree, you can shut off the indexing function and the F12 search key is very handy.
                We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Will it have any bad effects, if I were to simply remove it?(If I can find out how, that is) And the Akonadi-server thingy, what is that, and can I kick that one too?

Comment

Working...
                  X