X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Resolved] HP DVD Writer 640b not recognized by K3b

Hello all,

I am in the process of burning a Super-Grub-Disk, which I have successfully done. I made 2 of them for testing purposes, one with Kubuntu(K3b) & one with windows(Infra-recorder).

The good news is....They both work fine.

The bad news....I am now attempting to erase one of them using K3b in Kubuntu. The program has given me a message that my HD Writer has a malformed URL (media://dev/sr0). So I went to Settings/Configure in K3b. Clicked on "Devices" and device (HP DVD Writer) is showing up. It says at the top of the window if K3b is unable to detect your drive, you need to modify their permissions to give K3b write access to all devices.

I am not sure if I need to change any permissions or even if device detection is my problem. Anyone have an idea why K3b is saying "malformed URL" when I attempt to erase, by selecting the tools menu Format DVD+/-RW? What is weird is that I just finished burning to the disk with this same drive, using K3b

Anyone have suggestions or experiences with this problem?

System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Re: HP DVD Writer 640b not recognized by K3b...modify permissions?

Originally posted by bhamm77
    malformed URL (media://dev/sr0)

Anyone have suggestions or experiences with this problem?
    The double // would be my guess as to what's making the URL 'malformed.' Within the settings for k3b, change this to a single /.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog!

Under the settings menu, K3b has the device listed as /dev/sr0 (3,0,0). It does not give the option to change it. It is called System device name.

The double // would be my guess as to what's making the URL 'malformed.' Within the settings for k3b, change this to a single /.
      As far as the double // goes, that is only showing up in the error message I get when attempting to use the drive. But there doesn't seem to be anywhere under Settings listing the phrase (media://dev/sr0).

****See this screen shot provided to see exactly what I'm talking about when I refer to the error message.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=262

****See this screen shot to see what Settings/Devices has listed.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/index.p...o_show&ida=263

Let me know if this tells you anything.
      System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Comment

******SOLVED****** at least I think....

Please forgive my ignorance, but K3b seems to be working fine. I the problem was that I was trying to erase a DVD-R disk. Which is not rewritable. I knew this but had let it slip my mind as I was trying to erase it. This is probably the cause of my error message. K3b was looking for erasable media that was not there. There was instead DVD-R.

I tried the same scenario using a DVD+/- data disk, and it worked out. Once again, sorry to waste everyone's time. I don't believe there are any malfunctions with my K3b program & it is recognizing my HP DVD Writer 640b just fine.

Snowhog, thanks for looking into this. I know this information would have been of use to you earlier on.

Comment

Working...
        X