Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9.04 on a standalone PC will NOT save my USB printer! Help.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.04 on a standalone PC will NOT save my USB printer! Help.

What should I do to keep the printer listed?

I have a standalone PC with a USB HP LaserJet 1022. As a power saving I turn off the monitor ( USB hub the printer is connected through the monitors' USB jack ) via a power strip on the desktop. When I sit at the computer to work I turn on the powerstrip and move the mouse. The computer comes on from sleep but then I get a message in the lower right that says "configuring new printer..." and I look and sure enough, the printer I added yesterday is gone!

Also, I had to add the printer via "network" as it would not see it otherwise. I am using the stock 9.04 CD install and this PC is never on a network. I am using OpenOffice spreadsheet only.

Re: 9.04 on a standalone PC will NOT save my USB printer! Help.

Is there a reason not to configure it through the localhost:631 CUPS interface?

USB hubs sometimes cause problems -- the ID of the device doesn't always make it back to the PC. If you can find a way to connect the printer directly to a USB port on the PC, you may have better luck with it.

Comment

On my first test, your suggestion worked. Directly plugging worked. I don't know about the cups as I'm new to linux. Thank you very much.

Comment

Great.

In your browser, if you will enter this in the URL window:

localhost:631

Then the CUPS printer administration interface will come up. But if your printer is working, you need to be careful about changing anything.

Comment

Ah, I see. Very nice to know. Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
          X