This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hd not showing correct size in gui

i bought a new 1.5 terrabyte hard drive and put it in as a secondary drive. it is formatted as ntfs since i need to be able to access it from windows. i copied my data from my old storage drive onto it. i keep getting messages from the gui that it is almost out of space (it is showing in the gui as a 160gb drive like the old storage drive) but when i sudo fdisk -l it shows up as a 1.5 terrabytes.

any suggestions?

Re: hd not showing correct size in gui

Open a Konsole window and check for free disk space on all partitions:

Code:
    sudo df -h
    and post your output here. It may reveal something.

Comment

dh -h only shows sda not sdb.

i did get an odd error when i attempted to mount "NTFS signature is missing"

Comment

post the fdisk -l

and how did you copy the data?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yeah, if you copied the whole partition using a cloning app like partimage, you'd still have a 160gb partition on that new drive regardless of its full capacity.
          KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

it is no longer showing up in fdisk.

i manually copied the data over (drag & drop).

Comment

i think i'm just going to reformat it into ext3.

Comment

Originally posted by scr3amingeagle
                OK -- fine, but the problem that you described is not caused by a filesystem format issue -- there's something funny going on if fdisk can't see an internal hard drive. I would advise you to review the basics -- cables, connections, BIOS info, etc., before you launch GParted and format it. I would want to make sure the system is seeing the hard drive correctly, as a device, before fiddling with the filesystem format and /etc/fstab and all of that. Two cents' worth.

One further thought -- if your BIOS is older, it may have problems with such a large hdd. Maybe you need to partition it into a couple of 750GB partitions, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  Originally posted by scr3amingeagle
                  OK -- fine, but the problem that you described is not caused by a filesystem format issue -- there's something funny going on if fdisk can't see an internal hard drive. I would advise you to review the basics -- cables, connections, BIOS info, etc., before you launch GParted and format it. I would want to make sure the system is seeing the hard drive correctly, as a device, before fiddling with the filesystem format and /etc/fstab and all of that. Two cents' worth.

One further thought -- if your BIOS is older, it may have problems with such a large hdd. Maybe you need to partition it into a couple of 750GB partitions, or something like that.
                  I agrey with dibl .........+ if it was last acsessed with windows or kubuntu and not cleanly unmounted it could be as simpel as runing CHKDSK /f from windows CLI that is if windows can see it and if it cant wear back to dibl's thought's

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                  X