X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASUS F5 series video problem

Hello guys!

I have encountered a very strange problem with my system, which is Asus notebook from f5 series. When I turn on Desktop Effects after given period of time my whole system crashes, the display cracks with little lines all over the place and the whole Window Manager freezes. I switch to console with CTRL+ALT+F1 for example and restart KDM or in some cases I have to reboot the whole system which is annoying.

The problem exists also in Debian with Gnome, Ubuntu with Gnome and Fedora 11 and I think got something to do with the video drivers. I know this is not a problem for Kubuntu community, but hope someone have the solution, because beside the system I have, we use the same notebook series in the whole office all of them runing Ubuntu or Kubuntu, which is

I searched the whole system for some logs to show me where is the problem, but with no success. Here is an output from lspci:

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Host Bridge (rev b1)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 LPC Bridge (rev b2)
    00:03.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.2 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SMBus (rev b1)
    00:03.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Device 0a98 (rev b1)
    00:03.5 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Co-processor (rev b1)
    00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
    00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
    00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Bridge (rev b1)
    00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1)
    00:0b.0 SATA controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 AHCI Controller (rev b1)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    00:15.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    00:16.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    00:17.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    00:18.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9200M G (rev b1)
    06:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    I have cаme to the conclusion that when X try to draw a new windows something goes wrong and the system crashes. Hope someone have the solution.

Kind regards!

Re: ASUS F5 series video problem

Hi,

I envy you, I am forced to use Windows at work
    Do you use the Binary driver from NVIDIA or the open source one?

Comment

Re: ASUS F5 series video problem

Binary drivers, that comes with hardware discovering tool in Kubuntu, but I have tried with driver downloaded from nvidia official site and the same thing happens.

I don't think I can switch on desktop effects with open source driver anyway

Comment

Working...
      X