This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I borked my sound with a PPA update, need some suggestions

Hopefully somebody can help me out. I'm not too savy with Linux sound configuration. Over the weekend I finally decided to try out compiz and emerald under KDE. I ran into problems with compiz and my dual monitor setup which has a virtual desktop over 2048 pixels horizontally. I found a patch for the problem at the following PPA: https://edge.launchpad.net/~cavedon/+archive/ppa. I did an update, got lazy and did a full upgrade. That was my mistake. The PPA patch fixed the compiz problem with my Intel video card but I believe I picked up some alsa or pulseaudio packages from the same PPA that borked my sound. Nothing in amarok and nothing when I try to test sound from System Settings. The one oddity is I hear the KDE start-up sound but that's it. No sound of any kind after start-up.

I found a few messages in the syslog but nothing I really understand. The messages are below. I thought maybe I could rollback my update but not sure that's doable. Also looked over /var/log/dpkg.log and did find some entries from 6/28 when I patched my system but I can't tell what packages came from the PPA. That would be very helpful information to know. I also considered removal of some key sound packages then re-install but wasn't sure what packages to remove to get most of the dependencies. The obvious first choice was pulseaudio. Looking for some good ideas to recover my sound.

Jun 29 17:30:16 grant-laptop pulseaudio[3816]: alsa-sink.c: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write!
    Jun 29 17:30:16 grant-laptop pulseaudio[3816]: alsa-sink.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_hda_intel'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
    Jun 29 17:30:16 grant-laptop pulseaudio[3816]: alsa-sink.c: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.
    linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Re: I think I borked my sound with a PPA update, need some suggestions

I got lucky, my simple counter measures worked this time. I hate it when that happens. :P :P :P

rm ~/.pulse
    apt-get remove pulseaudio
    apt-get autoremove
    apt-get clean
    apt-get update
    apt-get install pulseaudio

linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Re: I think I borked my sound with a PPA update, need some suggestions

great bro.

Comment

Working...