This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting projector issues

I'm trying to get my Kubuntu laptop to play nice with a projector using my TV out with my Intel 945GM video card. When I plug in the projector, nothing happens. Then if I restart the X Server, the projector turns on automatically. The only issue is that my laptop display is 1440x900 and the projector is 1024x768. It clips the display and only shows the top left portion. Now, I would like to just change the resolution of my laptop display to 1024x768 to match hoping that would fix it, but 1440x900 is the only option available is System Settings->Display. I've tried everything from xrandr to messing with xorg.conf but I can't change my resolution. It's very frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Re: Connecting projector issues

Normally the laptop has a key combo that switches the display from LCD to external -- might be Fn-F8 or something. Usually it is shown on the Function keys which one relates to the display.

However, there's no way for Kubuntu to know that your projector needs a different screen size and shape than your LCD -- that's not going to happen unless you change it (on the LCD) before you switch over to the projector.

Comment

I've never had that key combo work in Linux...

Changing the resolution is the real problem here. I can't change the lcd resolution at all. The only option listed is 1440x900

Comment

Plugging a projector into a computer may not work.
        Safest way is to power off your computer, turn on the projector first, wait for it to warm up, then turn on the computer, that way the projector will more likely be recognized by the computer. Forget plug and play - it's a great idea but still has limitations.

The difference in resolutions is not really a problem, nearly all computer screens are different to projectors but work without any problems.
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Right. But the big issue was that I couldn't change my resolution to match the projector. Only one mode was listed. Without matching the resolution the projector is useless as anything fullscreen is clipped off.

Anyway, I found a solution.

The projector had resolution 1024x768. So I created a new modeline for my lcd with that resolution:
          Code:
          $ gtf 1024 768 60

# 1024x768 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 47.70 kHz; pclk: 64.11 MHz
           Modeline "1024x768_60.00" 64.11 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 795 -HSync +Vsync
          Then I created a new mode with that:
          Code:
          $ xrandr --newmode "1024x768_60.00" 64.11 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 795 -HSync +Vsync
          And then added that to my LCD display:
          Code:
          $ xrandr --addmode LVDS 1024x768_60.00
          Viola! I can now select 1024x768 for my LCD. This isn't, however, a permanent change and it's really roundabout.

Comment

Working...
          X