This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: Install on high-end workstation hardware

I am currently building a high-end workstation for a client who originally spec'ed Win XP 64-bit, but now also wants to dual-boot with Kubuntu or Ubuntu 64-bit as well. I am a few years removed from regular linux support, so I wanted to see if there would be any "GOTCHAs" I should watch out for with the following hardware:

MOTHERBOARD: Supermicro X8DAi
    CPU(s): 2 x Xeon 5540 (2.53GHz)
    RAM: 48GB (12 x 4GB) Crucial DDR3 ECC/Registered
    VIDEO: Basic nVidia GeForce 9400 GT
    RAID Controller: Areca ARC-1680IX-12 (4GB)
    BOOT ARRAY: 2 x Fujitsu MBA3073RC 73.5GB SAS HDDs (RAID 1)
    SCRATCH ARRAY: 2 x Fujitsu MBA3300 MBA3147RC 147GB SAS HDDs (RAID 0)
    STORAGE ARRAY: 4 x WD RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB SATA HDDs (RAID 10)

The workstation is a pure number cruncher - it will not be a true 'server'.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Re: HELP: Install on high-end workstation hardware

The one thing you must be aware of is that you have to install the 64 bit edition, otherwise all that memory will not be used.

As for the graphic card, I don't thinnk you'll have any special issues with it (other than to call it "Basic" what is for me a high end one!)

I don't have direct experience with RAID controllers, you should check the manufacturer or kernel hardware compatibility lists before assuming that it will work. Since Linux is used a lot in servers, there is a good chance that it will work.

I'm curious, what is this machine going to be used for? It seems more like a middle to high end server than a desktop.

Comment

I would boot and run the Live CD on that platform and check out all functions, prior to attempting installation on it. I think the dual Xeons will be OK, Linux has had SMP kernels for quite some time.

The hardware RAID controller is probably going to be a problem. It says here:

http://www.areca.us/news/n100506.htm

that a driver is available as a kernel module, but I have not heard that it is in the default *buntu kernel. So there's your challenge .... :P

Comment

I loaded Kubuntu 64 and it worked F L A W L E S S L Y !

As for what this machine will be used for, the client I built it for wants to run multiple scientific modeling simulations in parallel - up to 16 at the same time. Thus the need for two quad-core CPUs and 48GB of RAM - each thread, or simulation, will have approximatelt 3GB of RAM available. We may even be increasing that, though the early test runs indicate that 48GB is sufficient.

Comment

What a beast ... I'd say this is one shining example of what you can do with the proper hardware and a powerful OS!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X