This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compaq 6715b

Here is some "how not to do it" advice for HP Compaq 6715b owners. (2MB RAM, 2x Turion)
    Firstly, if you are going to dual boot and keep the HP restore partition Grub will add two items under "Other operating systems".
    The first is Windows XP and the second is Windows 2000/NT.
    The 2000/NT option is the system restore utility and if you select it Grub will be overwritten!, even if you select "Cancel" after it has booted up.
    P.S. My machine was downgraded from Vista to XP 32 bit

Secondly, the fglrx driver for the ATI Radeon X1250 card does not work properly, the screen jitters when scrolling up or down. It is very disturbing for the eyes!
    The Hardware Drivers utility does not give an option to install an ATI driver.

I tried using EnvyNG to remove the driver and install the proprietry one but then X hung on boot-up.
    This was with Kubuntu 9.04 (AMD64) so I installed Ubuntu 9.04(AMD64) instead and everything seems to work although the screen does flicker sometimes. Pressing Alt-Tab can result in strobing windows!
    Compiz works, but not as smoothly as an older machine.
    I have read lots of stuff on ATI cards but still don't know how to get the best screen results. Here's is the result of
    Code:
    sudo lshw
    *-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
    vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
    physical id: 5
    bus info: pci@0000:01:05.0
    version: 00
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=64

The good news is that this machine boots up really fast!!
    Congratulations to all involved in the K/Ubuntu project.

If anybody has the definitive answer for this ATI card then please respond, thanks.
Working...
X