This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FGLRX driver for Mobility HD3470

I've been using Ubuntu on a PC here for over 2 years, I've converted several people to Ubuntu, as I beleive it's much better than windows and since I know quite a bit about linux and Ubuntu, I've been able to offer them a little tech support as well.
    I recently downloaded Kubuntu 9.04 because i feel Gnome isn't moving anywhere visually and I like some eye candy. I tried out the live disk on my laptop and immediately installed

Everything was autodected and the laptop works brilliantly. My only issue is the following:

I was hoping to run World of Warcraft using wine because I've done it before a few times. I started by trying to install the FGLRX driver for proper 3D acceleration. I did this using EnvyNG, but after running Envy and letting it start downloading the packages, I got this error:

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/Envy/packagemanager.py", line 75, in pulse
      self.newObject.updateUi(percent)
     File "interface.py", line 65, in updateUi
      numHashes = int(round(numHashes))
    TypeError: an integer is required
    /usr/bin/envyng: line 4: 5830 Segmentation fault sudo python interface.py
    It seems to me this is a problem with updating the percentage bar shown and this is a bug in envy that needs to be fixed.

When using the restricted driver installer that comes with the OS, even if I just open and then close it, I get the following error:

A Fatal Error Occurred
    Code:
    The application Jockey () crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).
    I'd like to know if there is another safe way to install these drivers and if possible why these problems are happening. I've tried WoW in opengl mode with the open source drivers and i get far less than 1fps.
    Thanks in advance.
    Kubuntu 9.04 on <br />Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz<br />Radeon HD3470

Re: FGLRX driver for Mobility HD3470

Hi,

you can install ATI proprietary driver with with :

Code:
    #apt-get install xorg-driver-fglrx
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
    Release: 14.04
    Codename: trusty

Comment

Installing the driver and restarting caused the graphical desktop environment to display incorrectly and I can't do anything graphically. This is specifically why I have been using envy, it configures xorg.conf correctly automatically.

Now:
      Can somebody either help me configure xorg.conf via text based commands or show me how to restore the original working driver.

Comment

Hi, again.

you can apt-get get purge xorg-driver-fglrx

and reboot

did not try it yet but i think it should work by adding fglrx to

/etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

Comment

Originally posted by hteles
          Hi, again.

you can apt-get get purge xorg-driver-fglrx

and reboot

did not try it yet but i think it should work by adding fglrx to

/etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
          Surely just removing the driver wont re-implement the old one?

Comment

Hi

i can't find your adapter at ATI supported products in the following release notes.

please check:
            https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...t_94_linux.pdf

Comment

I spoke too soon I have a graphical desktop again by purging. But I'd still really like 3D acceleration.

It seems that you are right:

the newest mobile chipsets have yet to be added to fglrx... the last one to be supported was the radeon X1k series leaving out all HD products.
              http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11321

This is dissapointing. I hope ATI do not continue to neglect the linux community as they have for so long.

I think that means this issue is as close as it can be to resolved.

Thank you hteles

EDIT: That post is from 07-09-2008, it may be outdated. I will investigate further and post any worthwhile information I find.

Comment

Hi,

they are getting better supporting their products.

I'm in a worst scenario, or maybe not?

My Laptop has a radeon X700 card and is only supported by the open source drivers.

Comment

If found, further in the exact same thread that somebody has the fglrx driver working on the exact same laptop as me. He did not specify what distro he is using though.

and another post stated
                  've seen 9.1 run very well on a Mobility HD 3470 card under Ubuntu 8.10. For example, Civilization IV runs smoothly under Wine with all settings on High.

Comment

Also, after uninstalling FGLRX video playback is now slugish and bad quality. sigh. This is really making me angry. Any ideas?

Comment

My card is a bit newer than yours but I had problems too with the driver.after installing glibc-2.1 everything is ok,try!

Comment

Been having lots of issues with this and other ATI drivers running on a radeon 2400 so at the mo I am just running with vesa.

However I do not do any 3d stuff so it ain't a big issue just a nagging pain that I did fix iwth envy under hardy heron but now is bust again on jaunty. I hope it gets sorted as I miss having desktop effects
                        Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

i have an ati HD4830
                          i had some issues install my gfx driver,check out my post about it

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                          X