Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Nvidia Geforce 9600GT supported on Kubuntu 9.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the Nvidia Geforce 9600GT supported on Kubuntu 9.04?

Hello everybody

Since the release of Kubuntu 9.04, I have been trying to install the driver for my nvidia geforce 9600gt graphic cards, I tried installing the newest and oldest version of the driver, in many different ways (install through hardware drivers, envyng and manually) and I always get the same result after rebooting my computer, I cant access my desktop, I always have to login though the console and cant access the graphic environment of the kubuntu desktop. The most frustrating thing in all that is once the driver installed, i can't restore my original setting no-matter what i do, except with envyng, i can type this command and will get my gnu back after reboot and restoring the backup of the original xorg.conf file:

Code:
    envyng --uninstall-all
    I don't think I am doing anything wrong, and after many hours of research on google and ubuntu/kubuntu's forums, I start wondering if the new release kubuntu/ubuntu 9.04 don't support the nvidia geforce 9600gt. I might be wrong but I am losing hope.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Re: Are the Nvidia Geforce 9600GT supported on Kubuntu 9.04?

I can only confirm that this happens also with my 9500GT. Tried to change some options in xorg.conf, but no luck yet.
    Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

According to the nvidia-documentation, both 9500 GT and 9600 GT should be supported with the latest drivers (180.51, don't know which version support was added to these gpu:s though). Try to install them "the nvidia way". I used to use envyng before, but it always failed in some way for me, but it always works installing the way it's described by nvidia.

Short how to:
      1. dowload driver here: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...80.51-pkg1.run
      2. press ctrl-alt-f1
      3. login using you're username and password
      4. do 'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop'
      5. cd to the directory where you downloaded the driver
      6. there, do 'sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.51.pkg1.run' and follow instructions (it's mostly just a matter of pressing ok and yes a bunch of times)
      7. when the installer is finished, do ctrl-alt-f7 or 'sudo reboot'

That should work. Otherwise I'm bummed on this one.

Comment

Thanks for your answer, I might try again, but do you have any command i could use incease this doesnt work? I am just sick on re-installing kubuntu each time the driver fail to display my desktop.

Comment

i am using nvidia 9600 gt no problem here even running dual monitor setup
          i use hardware driver progam that is already installed
          then go into terminal run sudo nvidia-settings to fine tune

Comment

Originally posted by mbjbdc08
            i am using nvidia 9600 gt no problem here even running dual monitor setup
            i use hardware driver progam that is already installed
            then go into terminal run sudo nvidia-settings to fine tune
            Did you have the same issue as me when you installed the driver? which mean, not having the desktop appearing but the console?

Thanks for your replies everyone

Comment

the desktop reappears after installation

Comment

Well, I also had no luck with the 180.51 driver which minlars suggested. It's even more dramatic as it results in the screen turning black voor about 10 seconds, then it's ten seconds OK and then "blacks out" again.

I also tried the boot option "vmalloc=256M" (with 180.44 driver), but it made no difference.

KDE loads with the vesa driver, but crashes within 10 minutes.

Does anyone else have an update?
                Once your problem is solved please edit the first post of your topic and add [SOLVED] in front of the subject. In that way, others can benefit from your experience!

Comment

one thing that I used to have to do is add the boot options noapic and nolapic. You can do this at boot time by going to the grub menu to see if it works...if it does, then you can add it as default...I'm grasping at straws here, but it is worth a try...if you need help on how to add these, let me know...

mm0
                  Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

noapic and/or nolapic made me boot with the 180.44 drivers! First success.

For 9600GT you might still need to install the 180.51 drivers from the nvidia site, as the release notes say "Support for 9600GT added".

I am not fully satisfied however, When I press shutdown, the globe still looks like an egg, though nvidia-settings say that I am really using 1680x1050 (my native screen resolution). Also, I tried to start a game to test resolution settings. The game didn't start.
                    I emptied my xorg.conf, started nvidia-settings with elevated rights and made it write to the xorg.conf file. I added SubSections in the "Screen" section. But it all made no difference...

Any more tips?

Comment

Well, the first thing would be to find out for sure if you are running 1680x1050...I'm not sure what 'Globe' you are referring to...but if it is after you click shutdown, then it may revert back to a lower res...I know the bootup splash used to do that.

mm0
                      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
                        one thing that I used to have to do is add the boot options noapic and nolapic. You can do this at boot time by going to the grub menu to see if it works...if it does, then you can add it as default...I'm grasping at straws here, but it is worth a try...if you need help on how to add these, let me know...

mm0
                        thanks for your reply , could you explain me how to do that if you dont mind, it would be really helpfull.

Comment

I'm going from memory here...

when you boot, hit ESC to get into the grub menu. Select whatever kernel you usually boot (should default to that one already), and hit 'e' for edit. I think you need to hit 'e' again...and add noapic nolapic to the end of the boot string.

hit enter, then press 'b' to boot. This is not a permanent change. If it works, you can edit your /boot/grub/sources.list file to add the same string on the kernel line.

mm0

Comment

What Muzicman0 says is almost correct, between pressing your first and second 'e', you should press the down array to select the second (and longest) line that defines the kernel you boot. Let us know if it works!

With the 180.44 driver I got this message while starting anything that would require OpenGL: "Couldn't find matching GLX visual"
                            Nvidia-settings said: "Fail to query the GLX server vendor 180.44"

So I installed the 180.51 driver and this works... differently.
                            It starts out with nice but very slow fading effects, then notifies me after a minute or 2 that Compositing is disabled because of bad performance (go Jaunty!), so that option will be turned off.
                            Trying to start a game again: Glob2 is a success, but Warzone2100 is a failure, it starts but then gives me a black screen. Pressing CTRL+ALT+F7 or CTRL+ALT+F1 does nothing.

Comment

thanks JohanLingen! I was worried I would forget something...I'm stuck on Windows at work...

mm0

Comment

Working...
                              X