This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu desktop loading sequence freezes

I upgraded my roommate's Kubuntu to Jaunty and now he's having a problem with Kubuntu freezing during the login process. He puts his username and password in and Kubuntu begins loading the desktop but then it freezes with the first icon (harddrive) visible and the second and third icons blurry.

I am able to ssh into his computer and work from the command line, so Kubuntu isn't frozen entirely -- but I can't do anything more than move the mouse pointer from his computer.

I was able to ssh into his computer at one point and work from the command line but ssh stopped responding and now I can't reconnect, so it looks like it is completely frozen other than being able to move the mouse pointer. I tried rebooting and have the same problem.

His video card is nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX - nForceGPU] (rev a3), in case this might be a video-related problem.
    JamieWilson.net

Re: Kubuntu desktop loading sequence freezes

Before you login to KDM can you use CTL-ALT-F1 to get a terminal? Then you can make sure openssh-server is installed.

If you get access run
    dpkg -l | grep nvidia
    to see what packages are installed.
    If you have proprietary drivers installed you will see
    nvidia-180-kernel-source
    nvidia-glx-180
    at least. Might be version 177 or 173 for your card.

Are the restricted repositories enabled? Were they before and did the upgrade disable them?

Comment

Re: Kubuntu desktop loading sequence freezes

Originally posted by mando_hacker
      Before you login to KDM can you use CTL-ALT-F1 to get a terminal? Then you can make sure openssh-server is installed.

If you get access run
      dpkg -l | grep nvidia
      to see what packages are installed.
      If you have proprietary drivers installed you will see
      nvidia-180-kernel-source
      nvidia-glx-180
      at least. Might be version 177 or 173 for your card.

Are the restricted repositories enabled? Were they before and did the upgrade disable them?
      Nvidia version 180 is installed and the proprietary drivers are enabled. Sometimes it loads fine, other times it locks up.

Another thing I've noticed is that the resolution always defaults to the largest resolution (1600x1200) after logging in, even though I set it at 1400x1050 in the display options under System Settings. When I open the display options, though, the resolution resets to 1400x1050.
      JamieWilson.net

Comment

Working...
      X