This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP3 player and card readers not recognized

All USB card readers and MP3 players are not recognised by one of my computers. I am running Kubuntu 9.4 on all my computers. It's only the one computer they don't work on. The USB ports are setup fine as keyboards and mouse work. I think I must be missing a package that tell the computer to see the drive, but don't have a clue what that could be.

Any help?

Re: MP3 player and card readers not recognized

I am having the same problem with my MP3 player. I have a SanDisk Sansa e260, which used to auto-mount just fine as a USB storage device under Ubuntu 8.10, but since switching to Kubuntu 9.04 and KDE 4.2, it won't mount consistently. (It worked once a few days ago, but not since.)

If I tail /var/log/messages when I plug it in, I can see it getting detected:

Code:
    ...kernel: [ 519.384118] usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    ...kernel: [ 519.520350] usb 1-4: configuration #128 chosen from 1 choice
    ...kernel: [ 519.552853] scsi11 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    ...kernel: [ 529.928151] usb 1-4: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
    ...kernel: [ 530.076366] scsi12 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    One strange thing here is the "reset" that happens ten seconds later. I don't know what that's all about.

I can also see it in lsusb:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0781:7421 SanDisk Corp. Sansa E200 series
    But it doesn't show up in KDE at all. Any ideas?

Comment

I am not a heck of a lot of help on this one. I did realize that there is something wrong with my front USB ports. They keep dropping the signal and reconnecting. The back USB ports work fine.

I am also having the same problem with my Sansa players. I think it has something to do with Amarok. If you restart your computer (I think just logging out also works) and don’t open Amarok, you should be able to mount your player ok. Once Amarok has been opened it mounts the player to itself and the computer can no longer mount USB drives/players. You need to reboot again.

I have considered uninstalling Amarok to avoid the issue. Too bad because I am just starting to like Amarok.

Comment

Originally posted by Jook_roberts
        I am also having the same problem with my Sansa players. I think it has something to do with Amarok.
        Interesting! I had not considered Amarok could be a factor. It's true, I keep Amarok running all the time and I hadn't been doing that prior to upgrading to Jaunty. I'll have to test that.

Comment

Let me know if you think it is Amarok related to. We can log a bug, if there is two of us with the same problem.

Comment

Yup. Definitely seems to be Amarok. I tried plugging it in four times with Amarok running and four times with it shut down. Every time Amarok was running, it wouldn't mount. Every time it was closed, it mounted right away. I find this particularly odd because Amarok 2.0.2 doesn't even support portable music players! I'll poke around for a bug report.

Comment

Opened bug 191988 upstream. Please cast your vote.

Comment

I added a comment. I couldn't vote at this time, but I will try again later.

Comment

Working...
                X