X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xorg - Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0 - MM keys

Hi,

All keys worked immediately under Kubuntu 8.10, but in the 9.04 most of the multimedia keys are working except the 5 "quick launch keys" numbered from 1 to 5. xev is showing keycodes 192 to 196 for these keys. How should they be mapped ?

Regards,

François

Re: Xorg - Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0 - MM keys

There are a few ways you can do it. You can install hotkeys and use it or define the key mappings with xmodmap and go to System Settings/Input Actions to map the key to a command.

As a test enter the following commands in a terminal...

xmodmap -e 'keycode 192=F13'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 193=F14'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 194=F15'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 195=F16'
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 196=F17'

Open System Settings from the KDE menu, then Input Actions. Right click and create a new group called QuickLaunch then add a Command/URL or D-Bus Command. Define the command you want to execute when you press the key then enter the Shortcut key. It should show you F13-F16 depending on the key you pressed as the shortcut. The next time you reboot you will lose the custom key mappings. Add the commands to a script in your ~/.kde/Autostart directory.

Grant
    linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Re: Xorg - Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v1.0 - MM keys

Hi,
      I also have a M$ ergonomic natural keyboard (Desktop 7000). Most of the keys seem to work, i.e. the are recognized by xev and I can define keyboard shortcuts.
      Only the five launch-keys in the top row do not seem to work... that means xev does not indicate anything when I press them and I can not assign them as shortcuts or anything - the appear to be dead... the zoom-slider as well, btw.
      I also have a similar problem with the mouse in dolphin and most other KDE-apps: I cant assign keyboard short-cuts or configure them in any way... but they do work fine in Firefox and are recognized by xev. I'm not sure if the latter is related to the launch-key-problem, since there even xev does not see the keys...

So do these five launch keys work for anyone?

Chopstick

Comment

Working...
      X