This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jaunty + Intel Graphics = very slow Desktop Effects

i128 is not for intel and I don't think it should be a problem.

Comment

BTW, thanks for the tips. Since removing the xserver-xorg-video-i740 -all packages, things are running much more smoothly.

Comment

Glad to hear it. There are a few others who have had this problem after upgrading. They might like to hear about your experience.

Comment

This solution works very well for me: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/ReinhardTar...telDriverTo2.4
          # make install --not-war

Comment

Originally posted by russlar
            This solution works very well for me: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/ReinhardTar...telDriverTo2.4
            Revert? Full speed ahead, I say!

By that I mean, for my main PC (which is also my server) I'm still sticking with 8.04 'cause, hey, Long-Term Support is the bees knees or whatever you young'uns are saying these days. But for my laptop I'm keeping as cutting edge as possible (waiting waiting waiting for things to be ready and stable enough again for my main desktop, and enjoying the ride in the meantime). So myself I'm following this guide:

"HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide" (using xorg-edgers PPA and ubuntu-kernel PPA)

with of course the difference in that now 2.6.30rc3 is out (actually I'm installing both rc2 and rc3, since for some reason I gave this laptop a 1GB boot partition so I might as well use it).

....okay, I wouldn't be astonished if I have to revert, but I was sad that 2.6.29 didn't make it into Jaunty, so I'm relishing the excuse to give 2.6.30 a fling. Plus I'm totally okay with being a guinea pig, especially since right now Xorg and Plasma fight for 100% CPU usage even with desktop effects entirely disabled and every other tweak applied, which has me exiled to LXDE for now....which is a great lightweight desktop environment, don't get me wrong, but I'm a KDE fan at heart.

Comment

Working...
            X