This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4 vs KDE 3

I have been playing around with KDE 4 a couple of days. This is what I found.

New System: Core 2 duo 2400 MHz and KDE 4.2.2 (with minimum eye candy)
    Old system: Pentium M 1600 MHz and old KDE 3.5.10 configuration

Old system:
    • Boots faster.]
    • Shows desktop (forth and back) faster.
    • Navigation on the desktop and in the K-menu is faster
    • Desktop items are searchable by one click on the keyboard.
    • Properties of desktop items are accessible from "alt" + "enter"
    • and lots more.....

New system:
    • QT4 - major feature!!
    • More eye candy.
    • Unstable.
    • Slow.
    • Nice consistency between sudo and kdesudo (kdesu in kde 3 :-X)
    • Nice widget platform and many new nice widgets (hmm still missing the/a bookmark widget).
    • Great panel settings.
    • ....hmm...

Is there really any good reason for me to stick with KDE 4 or should I go back to KDE 3. I like fast, stable, ugly desktops :-) And I like the functional power of KDE 3.

Any thoughts?
    Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
    CV and gallery at grn.dk
    Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Re: KDE 4 vs KDE 3

Personally, I'm writing this on a machine running Hardy Heron with KDE 3. Nuff said.

Comment

Hehe.. nice..
      Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
      CV and gallery at grn.dk
      Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

No prob.

Haven't touched kde3.5 in a year.

fintan2@fintanws2:~$ kde4-config --version
        Qt: 4.5.0
        KDE: 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2)
        kde4-config: 1.0
        fintan2@fintanws2:~$

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by gnowak

Is there really any good reason for me to stick with KDE 4 or should I go back to KDE 3. I like fast, stable, ugly desktops :-) And I like the functional power of KDE 3.

Any thoughts?

Hmmmmmmmmm. Probably that question is one that each must answer for him/herself, same as "what will make me happy?" or "what does beautiful look like?". Your answer and my answer may be different, yet we are both correct.

As I recall, WordPerfect 4.2 running on MS DOS 3.3 was a really fast, accurate, and effective word processor, and Lotus 1-2-3 on the same 80286 worked just fine, too. Talk about a stable desktop! And yet .... the future came .... OS/2 was sooooooo cool -- why did we let it get away from us? Can't we just go back?

Sure, you can hang on to the old stuff -- no problemo. Except, just remember, the future comes anyway, while the old stuff gets .... older and older and older.

Comment

Since I messed up my kde 3.5 when doing something daft I trailed the Jaunty Alphas since january on my pc and installed them ( no choice as I got a real pain trying to install HH again - intramfs error- busybox) so I have been on KDE4.2 for a while now. I have had no big problems. The hassle I have is with my graphics card but that is lack of jaunty support yet nut kde4.

So running this since january on 4.2 and happy
            Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

I personally didn't get on with KDE4 when I last tried it -though that was some time ago. I plan to upgrade to the KDE3 remix version on 9.04 (https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Jaunty) which allows both KDE3 & 4 to be installed at the same, that way I get the best of both worlds and can jump to KDE4 when I feel ready.

Note though that the guy hosting this has a very slow server and the bandwidth limit is often exceeded - so be patient if you download it direct rather than use bittorrent.

cjp

Comment

Working...
              X