This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet

I am new to this program. I have downloaded it, and it's pretty amazing except, I can't get my adapter to work because I have a disk to install. Is there someone I can install it? I really need my internet badly . please I beg you please reply to this. And for hardware questions I have a linksys wusb600n.

Re: Internet

You will find some helpful info here.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=972060
    I would just say that if youreach a point at which you are sure the module is loading and it should be working but will not connect, be aware that the KDE4 network applet is very buggy. The wicd network manager is much more reliable for wireless configuration.

Comment

Thank you but im not too advanced with the words. /quoteStep 3 - Open a terminal and navigate to the newly created WUSB600N folder
      Step 4 - type "sudo make" without quotes
      Step 5 - Copy the file:

* sudo mkdir /etc/Wireless
      * sudo mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
      * sudo cp RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat

Step 6 - open the WUSB600N/os/linux folder and type "sudo insmod rt2870sta.ko" again without quotes.
      /unquote
      Im abit stuck there

Comment

As you start quoting at step3 you imply you've completed step1&2?

In that case you should know the path to the new folder as you just created it...
        Do you know how to open the terminal (in KDE it's called Konsole) and do you now the cd command?

Please be more specific.

Comment

I don't know anything about KDE at all. So I dont know what im supposed to do lol so I type what he told me into konsel? I know where that is though.

Comment

Forgot to say, how can I get the download he told me to download into from windows to KDE. Can't edit that sucks.

Comment

I think we are getting pieces here. It seems you are stuck at getting things from Windows on the same machine to Linux. Open Dolphin (filemanager under Kubuntu) and you may see on the left something like "Volume(NTFS)". If so click on it and you will have access to your Windows partition. If not you can edit /etc/fstab (file system table) to add an entry for your Windows partition so it will be mounted at boot.

These directions will assume you have Windows installed on the first partition of your first hard drive, that your username is myuser, and that you want to mount the Windows partition so that myuser can read and write to it. When loogged in as myuser , open a terminal and run

mkdir Windows
              to make the mount point. Then

kdesuo kate /etc/fstab
              will open the fstab file in an editor as root so you can write it.
              Add a line like this
              /dev/sda1 /home/myuser/Windows ntfs defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000
              Replace myuser with you real username and if the numeric uid or gid is not 1000, change that to what your uid:gid is. You can find these by running "id" in a terminal. If your Windows partition is actually the second partition on the first disk you would use /dev/sda2 instead of /dev/sda1.

Save the fstab file and run
              sudo mount /dev/sda1
              and you are done.

Comment

When you say the edit tab, you mean the edit tab is dolphin right? Because I cant find ETC after.

Comment

Please reply. Sorry for the bump

Comment

Read carefully what I said. I did not refer to "an edit tab", I said you can edit a file named /etc/fstab. I am a little reluctant to continue until you can follow what I said, because it it only likely to get worse.

Comment

Sorry....... But is the file in dolphin as well? Sorry im trying to find it but I can't.

Comment

The file could be found through Dolphin but it will do you little good to find it that way. The first part of my post dealt with finding the volume in Dolphin, on the left side. After that my post moves to doing things in a terminal window. If the volume does not show up on the left side of Dolphin, open a terminal (Konsole) and work from there.

Comment

Working...
                        X