X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corrupted display

Hello

I am running Kubuntu Intrepid Ibex system. My video card is ATI Radeon 9550 and I seem to be having display issues. When the system is booting,at the point it gets to the progress bar that shows the progress of the sequence (with the Kubuntu logo), 4 times out of 5 the display is all squeezed together to the point that it is unreadable : just a bunch of pixel high lines. At that point, my monitor (LCD display) throws up a message saying "input frequency out of range". The system then finishes booting and am confronted with the login screen which is also corrupted majorly : tilted at around 40 degrees angle and some more disruption.

Sometimes hitting Ctrl Alt Backspace solves the issue, but most of the time, it doesn't. I am told that doing this restarts the X server, but it doesnt solve the issue. I am sure there is something wrong with my configuration, the system is great once I do manage to get to a working display. I thought it may be a driver issue, so I tried installing the ATI driver by going through the hardware driver wizard, but clicking on confirm/install doesnt install anything. Any suggestions?

Note that my monitor is working correctly and so is my video card: I dual boot Windows which works without issues.

I tried running the command dpkg-reconfigure-x-orgserver or something similar that asked me a lot of questions about my environment, but nothing related to my video card, and it hasnt solved anything

I am not an expert on linux by any definition, but am conversant with it.. I am sure you will require outputs of some files to further analyze the issue, so just let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Working...
X