This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox: make "kde-open" the default application when firefox open files

Every time a am going to open a file of a "new" file type in Firefox I have to go through the gnome file browser to come to /usr/bin and to find the right application to open the file with. Today I discovered the program "kde-open" witch opens the standard program for the particular file type.

Is it possible to make "kde-open" the default application for all file types in Firefox (and in Thunderbird).

Re: Firefox: make "kde-open" the default application when firefox open files

You could try the following:
    • Download a file whose extension is unknown by Firefox. For example, there's no application associated with ZIP files in the default configuration.
    • In the "Download" window, double click the file you just downloaded.
    • Firefox will ask you to choose an application to open the link. Browse for the application /usr/bin/kde-open and check the box that says "Do this automatically for files like these from now on."

If I'm not mistaken, the files whose extensions are unknown by Firefox are considered links. Therefore, all unknown extensions will be handled by kde-open from now on.

If you want to change the known extensions as well, go to Edit >> Preferences and open the tab "Applications." You just have to choose the appropriate actions for the type of file whose behavior you want to change.

Tiago

Edit: Apparently, the procedure above only works for the "save" action (double clicking a saved file on the "Download" window). Choosing the "open" action still brings the unknown extension dialog. Anyone?

Comment

Working...
    X