This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't eject CD from Cdrom unless I use Eject from with Dolphin

Hope some one can expalin how I can eject my CD by manually pressing the Eject button on my CDrom.
    When I press it nothing happens. The only way I can eject it is when I select Eject from within Dolphin. I have only switched over to Ibis recently from other Linux Distros and have never had to do the eject the way I have to now.

Re: Can't eject CD from Cdrom unless I use Eject from with Dolphin

I can't help you with the hardware issue, i.e. pressing your eject button. But you can also type the 'eject' command in the terminal and that will work too. Sometime my eject button doesn't work and this is what I do, however the problem is not persistent.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

Probably what you are seeing is that the cdrom gets locked when something is using it, so it will not open. If you close the dolphin or other app that is using it the button will work.

Comment

Hello finifly;

Actually not being able to eject a CD with Unix of any flavor is a good thing, in my opinion. It means we use a real operating system that mounts devices like CDRoms as part of the OS's file system. Once mounted there are only 3 ways of ejecting a CD. My Zip drive does the same thing, the OS overides the hardware eject button.

1. As you already know, eject the drive using the operating system gui menu command.

2. Issue the umount command for the CDRom drive and once complete, the CD Rom is removed from the file system and the hardware eject button will work normally.

3. If your CDRom drive has a small hole in the front, you can force it open with a paper clip straightened, of course. Notice this is the last way and the least desired. I only use this if a CD jams or there is some other hardware problem.

HTH

mhumm2

"If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
        X