X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Update Problems.....

Hi All

Just installed Kubuntu 8.10 from scratch and proceeded to do a software update.

I also have the backport thingy enabled in the software sources.

However, during the update I get an error saying KDE Daemon has crashed, what does this mean and should I worry?

Also, when the system is installing the updates it keeps referring to mysql-server.... What is this exactly?

Lastly, the desktop seems to change from how it looked when I first installed the system..
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex<br />KDE 4.2<br />Dell Inspiron 1525<br />Intel Celeron Dual Core processor T1500 <br />(1.86GHz, 533 MHz, 512KB Cache) <br />1GB memory <br />160GB hard drive

Re: Software Update Problems.....

It's a known bug, which the KDE dev crew is working on:
    http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=165548

The PIM is managed by Akonadi, which loads and uses mysql to hold PIM settings and info.

The updates have apparently changes some theme that you may have been using.

If you are able to boot into the KDE desktop I'd open a konsole and do
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    and then reboot.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Since you said you have backports enabled, I think I know what's the problem&#160;

You got updated to KDE 4.2. It has new look, that's why desktop looks differently, that's why you got the KDE Daemon has crashed message, and that's why you got prompted two times for mysql password. It's all normal, nothing to worry you.

Is your system working OK? As I gather from your post, everything is working, you just wanted to find out what happened.
      In a world without walls and fences - who needs windows and gates?

Comment

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.
        All seems to be in order at the moment, fingers crossed it stays this way :-)
        Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex<br />KDE 4.2<br />Dell Inspiron 1525<br />Intel Celeron Dual Core processor T1500 <br />(1.86GHz, 533 MHz, 512KB Cache) <br />1GB memory <br />160GB hard drive

Comment

Working...
        X