This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[resolved] Apt wants to remove about 100 applications

A couple of days ago, after an update that looked like it went fine, when I do an 'apt-get update', apt responds with a list of over 100 packages that are "no longer required." Things like kmymoney2, kwave, etc -- pretty much all the 'extra' kde applications. Well, many of them are required (by me), while there are some listed there - the old kernel packages, for example - that can and should go. I'm not sure what has messed up the database. 'apt-get check' doesn't indicate any problems, and the apps in the list I have tested are all still working.
    Any way to fix this? Kind of a mess, and makes getting rid of the really unnecessary stuff a little more difficult.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Apt wants to remove about 100 applications

Hmz, have you updated to 4.2 ? One of forum members had the similar problem while trying to update to 4.2 from ppa instead of backports repository and ended up removing bunch of packages and reinstalling.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs windows and gates?

Comment

Re: Apt wants to remove about 100 applications

Yes, this is the most current 4.2 version from backports. ppa is turned off, and has been since 4.2 became "official".
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: [resolved] Apt wants to remove about 100 applications

Today, while I was doing something else, the update-xapian process started up, and hogged all my cpu time for about 10 minutes. When it was done, apt quit wanting to clean my hard disk.

Resolved. Fixed itself. That always worries me.

Comment

Working...
        X