Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to configure/compile/install tork source code for KDE 4.1.2 Intrepid Ibex

Referencing the tork webpage entitled: What do I need to compile and install Tork?:

The following information covers what packages are minimally necessary over and above an Intrepid Ibex Kubuntu 8.10 Live CD environment with KDE 4.1.2 to configure and issue the make command successfully to build tork from the latest source (0.31-1) available (See 1. below) released 5 Feb 2009.

The following steps allow tork to be configured, and compiled:

1. Download and untar the latest source tarball of tork into the build
    directory tork-0.31 which is created from the tar extract command.

2. As root, edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list to uncomment universe and
    multiverse repositories

The following commands and packages are required to configure tork from a
    regular user account:

3. sudo apt-get update
    4. sudo apt-get install g++
    5. sudo apt-get install libxt-dev
    6. sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev
    7. sudo apt-get install libqt3-headers
    8. sudo apt-get install kdelibs4-dev

Then issue the ./configure command in the tork-0.31 directory and follow the existing instructions from the webpage entitled Install from Source to complete the compilation and installation of tork.

-- Tom

Re: How to configure/compile/install tork source code for KDE 4.1.2 Intrepid Ibex

Code:
    Get:7 [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com[/url] intrepid/universe tork 0.29-1build1 [1398kB]
    Isn't it already included in the official repositories? OK, it's version 0.29-1, but what has the newer version, 0.31-1 to offer? What has been improved?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Re: How to configure/compile/install tork source code for KDE 4.1.2 Intrepid Ibex

Hi kyonides,

The ChangeLog for releases 029-2 dated 2008-07-11, 0.30 dated 2008-10-21, and 0.31 dated 2008-12-31 (in release and misdated as 2008-01-29) is posted at KDE-apps.org.

The official ChangeLog file in the release (for comparison) indicates the following changes in releases 0.29-2, 0.30, and 0.31 is:

2008-12-31 Robert Hogan <robert@roberthogan.net>
      TorK 0.31
      Bug Fixes/Feature Fixes
      o Major update to German Translation from Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich at loop.de>
      o Boilerplate Greek Translation
      o Boilerplate Spanish Translation
      o Allow proxy ports up to 99999. Bug reported by anonym.
      o Allow MapAddress configurations to apply properly.
      o Modify 18x12 icons to 16x16 and so prevent packaging violations in Debian and Suse.
      Thanks to Marek Stopka and Patrick Matthai for pointing this out.
      o Fix so that downloading of experimental vs stable tor works properly again.
      o Don't crash if /dev/*/statistics/read does not exist.
      o Always update new server info
      o Fallback to default ORPort and Dirport if UPNP configured but unavailable

2008-10-21 Robert Hogan <robert@roberthogan.net>
      TorK 0.30
      Bug Fixes/Feature Fixes
      o If firstrun wizard cancelled, then cancel out of TorK and re-run it
      next time Tor is run.
      o Detect netfilter properly on more recent linux kernels.
      o German Translation updated by "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de>
      o Remove 'Change Identity' from main toolbar. It's available in the OSD
      and the systray menu instead.
      o Always de-configure server if 'Client' option selected.
      o Wait twenty seconds before assuming there is a problem
      connecting to Tor.
      o Improve the handling of tor installations in the first run wizard
      o Make stream-handling much more efficient for heavy loads
      o Fix http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=502155
      Minor Features
      o Add warning when tork is configured to expect privoxy to be running at
      startup but there is no sign of it
      o Add feature to let Tor shut down gracefully.
      o Ensure server settings are set correctly when launching Tor from
      Tork (as opposed to just connecting).
      o Add option to toggle between display of IP address and server name
      in server list.
      o Only display konqueror in application list if it exists.
      Known Bug Not Fixed Yet:
      o If router discovered and connecting to remote/local tor, server
      settings may be applied even if user requests not to.

2008-07-11 Robert Hogan <robert@roberthogan.net>
      TorK 0.29.2
      Bug Fixes/Feature Fixes
      o Fix crash when restarting Tor after clearing down the .tor directory.
      o Fix crash with --enable-live-cd configure option. Thanks to anonym for
      reporting. Re-enabled hidden services under live-cd option.
      Minor Features
      o Add warning when installing Torbutton
      o Add ability to resolve hostnames/ips in the traffic logs.
      o Add ability to copy/paste entries from the Tor log.
      o Add 'Hidden Service' to 'Run Server' drop-down menu.
      o Add ability to drag urls to system tray to anonymize them (useful for
      hidden services).

-- Tom

Comment

Does it only work with routers? Because I just have a modem and every so often it showed up a popup window telling me that it couldn't find my router...
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Hi kyonides,

I don't know, but you should be able to find out from the author, Robert Hogan, as noted via his email address in my previous message. Let us know what you find out.

-- Tom

Comment

I am posting this to elaborate on my first post. I have started from scratch with the Live CD again and find that the installed package list needs to be increased. Also, I have adopted installation of the Synaptic Package Manager as the next step after making the universe and multiverse repositories available in /ect/apt/sources.list and issuing the sudo apt-get update command, and then disregard using Adept further.

The full list of necessary packages to configure, compile, and install tork-0.31-1 are:
            1) g++
            2) automake
            3) libx11-dev
            4) libxt-dev
            5) zlib1g-dev
            6) libjpeg62-dev
            7) libpng12-dev
            8) libqt3-headers
            9) kdelibs4-dev

-- Tom

Comment

This is on Jaunty and actually refers to tork .30 but is probably very close and useful for building tork.31
              $sudo aptitude build-dep tork
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              Reading extended state information
              Initializing package states... Done
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
              comerr-dev{a} cvs{a} debhelper gawk{a} gettext-kde{a} html2text{a} kdelibs4-dev kdesdk-scripts{a}
              libacl1-dev{a} libart-2.0-dev{a} libasound2-dev{a} libaspell-dev{a} libattr1-dev{a} libaudio-dev{a}
              libavahi-client-dev{a} libavahi-common-dev{a} libavahi-qt3-dev{a} libbz2-dev{a} libcups2-dev{a}
              libdbus-1-dev{a} libexpat1-dev{a} libfontconfig1-dev{a} libfreetype6-dev{a} libgcrypt11-dev{a}
              libgeoip-dev libgl1-mesa-dev{a} libglu1-mesa-dev{a} libgnutls-dev libgpg-error-dev{a} libice-dev{a}
              libidn11-dev{a} libilmbase-dev{a} libjasper-dev{a} libjpeg62-dev libkadm55{a} libkrb5-dev{a}
              liblcms1-dev{a} liblua50-dev{a} liblualib50-dev{a} libmail-sendmail-perl{a} libmng-dev{a}
              libopenexr-dev{a} libpcre3-dev{a} libpcrecpp0{a} libpng12-dev libpthread-stubs0{a}
              libpthread-stubs0-dev{a} libqt3-compat-headers{a} libqt3-headers{a} libqt3-mt-dev libsasl2-dev{a}
              libsm-dev{a} libssl-dev{a} libsys-hostname-long-perl{a} libtasn1-3-dev{a} libtiff4-dev{a}
              libtiffxx0c2{a} libx11-dev{a} libxau-dev{a} libxcb1-dev{a} libxcursor-dev{a} libxdmcp-dev{a}
              libxext-dev{a} libxfixes-dev{a} libxft-dev{a} libxi-dev{a} libxinerama-dev{a} libxml2-dev{a}
              libxmu-dev{a} libxmu-headers{a} libxrandr-dev{a} libxrender-dev{a} libxslt1-dev{a} libxt-dev{a}
              lua50{a} mesa-common-dev{a} pkg-config{a} po-debconf{a} qt3-dev-tools{a} x11proto-core-dev{a}
              x11proto-fixes-dev{a} x11proto-input-dev{a} x11proto-kb-dev{a} x11proto-randr-dev{a}
              x11proto-render-dev{a} x11proto-xext-dev{a} x11proto-xinerama-dev{a} xtrans-dev{a} zlib1g-dev
              0 packages upgraded, 89 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
              Need to get 22.1MB of archives. After unpacking 76.5MB will be used.
              Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

As I don't really want to build it I canceled this but it gives you a good list. I have not been able to find an apt tool that would just list all the build dependencies, although I am sure that info is in the database.

Anyone know of such a tool?

Comment

Hi mando_hacker,

There is a tork_0.31-1_i386.deb available at sourceforge.net and the control file dependencies are as follows:
                Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.9), libacl1 (>= 2.2.11-1), libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.18), libattr1 (>= 2.4.41-1), libaudio2, libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libfam0, libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgcrypt11 (>= 1.4.0), libgeoip1, libgnutls26 (>= 2.4.0-0), libgpg-error0 (>= 1.4), libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libidn11 (>= 0.5.18), libjpeg62, libpcre3 (>= 7.7), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4), libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.8b), libsm6, libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libtasn1-3 (>= 0.3.4), libx11-6, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxext6, libxft2 (>> 2.1.1), libxi6, libxinerama1, libxrandr2, libxrender1, libxt6, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), tork-data (= 0.31-1), geoip-bin, tsocks

Note: At sourceforge.net there is also a tork-data .deb file required for all platforms.

-- Tom

Comment

Thanks. Are those not runtime dependencies? Those are, or may be, different than build-dependencies. You may find that .debs not included in Debian (or Ubuntu) may not be compiled with support for all the options that are available in Debian and therefore have somewhat simpler dependencies.

Comment

Hi mando_hacker,

Yes, for the most part they are runtime, but I think the first one is a build dependency if I am not mistaken. I am just now beginning to investigate .deb packaging, and it appears that the distinction between build vs. runtime dependencies is not very clear yet. If it is possible to make that kind of a distinction, then I agree with you about simpler dependencies.

-- Tom

Comment

Actually a libxxx.deb package is a runtime library. The development version will be libxxx-dev.deb.
                      If you look at the command I used to get the list
                      sudo aptitude build-dep tork
                      you will see that it is satisfying build-dependencies. These are very well established in Debian. That is how Gentoo can "emerge" packages.

Comment

Working...
                      X