This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Driver

Can anyone recommend a driver for the 9800GTX+ 512MB video card. I've tried both the 173 and 177 drivers that are available with the hardware driver utility, but neither work satisfactoraly. The problem i have is garbage being displayed when a different app is enabled. E.g. If i start firefox, i get a mosaic of previous application screens as the display is refreshed.

No matter what app i use, if i log off or shut down the garbage is displayed during the switch, even when freshly booting up the display is garbage prior to logging in. I've had this problem with other distro's using upto the latest 180 drivers so i'm hoping that a driver prior to 173 (if there is one), will prove better for Kubuntu. It's getting a royal pain as i usually have a few apps open at the same time (on different desktops), and having to literaly wait until the display settles before i can use an app is not really good.

As a comparison there is no problem with the card using windoze so i'm assuming it's the driver.

Regards

Re: Nvidia Driver

I've been using 180.29 for awhile with no problems. Definitely better than the 177 series. I'd also recommend you stay away from 180.35 as that causes zombie process issues.

Comment

Re: Nvidia Driver

Thanks. I found the 180.11's using the Adept installer. I somehow stumbled upon them as they are not available when searching for 'Nvidia', only the 173 and 177 versions are shown. Hmmm wish my memory was better >

I grabbed the 180.29's from the Nvidia website but their instructions don't work (unless it's for a different distro). It's probably me but a 1 click installer would be more constructive and more upto date than the archaic method of the command line for old guys like me. Anyway... at least the 180.11's do seem better.

Thanks again

Regards

Comment

Working...
      X