This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating to 4.2.1 broke Konqueror

Updated to 4.2.1. Now Konqueror doesn't start anymore. I get the following error:

Code:
    konqueror(5996) KServiceFactory::findServiceByDesktopPath: "findServiceByDesktopPath: searchproviders/.desktop not found"
    KCrash: Application 'konqueror' crashing...
    sock_file=/home/user/.kde/socket-tietokone/kdeinit4__0
    Help.

Re: Updating to 4.2.1 broke Konqueror

I had something similar, twice it would throw an error and after I'click OK in both instances Konqueror would start anyway.
    But it looked crap, had a third and empty window to the right plus some other oddities.

When I opened it as web browser it looked like always so I pressed F9 and entered / as URL.
    This gave me back the old Konqueror filemanager and I was able to save it at such, next time it was started all was right.

Comment

Similar happened to me. After upgrade to 4.2.1 Konqueror wont start anymore. The little animated icon appears after i clicked the Konqueror icon, and i can see Konqueror appear down in the panel, but then it disappears......

/ Stefan

Comment

Originally posted by LJGibbs
        Similar happened to me. After upgrade to 4.2.1 Konqueror wont start anymore. The little animated icon appears after i clicked the Konqueror icon, and i can see Konqueror appear down in the panel, but then it disappears......

/ Stefan
        I have the same problem after upgrading to KDE 4.2.1.

Comment

I found a workaround for this problem (which I also have since the upgrade to 4.2.1):

Start Konqueror with a URL as argument from Konsole, e.g., 'konqueror www.google.com'

In Settings->Configure Konqueror, the very first setting is 'When Konqueror starts:'. Change this from 'Show Introduction Page' to 'Show Blank Page'.

Now you can start Konqueror without problems again, but of course without the start page only - looks like loading it somehow doesn't work.

Comment

Thanks, frank! Your workaround has restored my procrastination to its normal levels

Comment

Originally posted by frank78
              I found a workaround for this problem (which I also have since the upgrade to 4.2.1):

Start Konqueror with a URL as argument from Konsole, e.g., 'konqueror www.google.com'

In Settings->Configure Konqueror, the very first setting is 'When Konqueror starts:'. Change this from 'Show Introduction Page' to 'Show Blank Page'.

Now you can start Konqueror without problems again, but of course without the start page only - looks like loading it somehow doesn't work.
              Thanks. I also just realised that I could start Konq with a URL argument, but changing the starting page didn't cross my mind.

Comment

Eh, another anoying bug, serves me right for jumping onto new packages before even a news item on kubuntu.org.

Comment

It's weird, because I updated it to 4.2.1 today and Konqueror opened as usual.
                  Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                  Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                  Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                  Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I just noticed the same problem and did what frank 78 said and chose "Show my home page" and it worked great.
                    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X