X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.2.1 Plasma Crashes

Hi

Can you install "kdelibs5-dbg" and "kdebase-workspace-dbg" and provide me with a full backtrace please?

Um sudo apt-get install kdelibs5-dbg?

Comment

Hi.

So here's my problem. After logging into my kubuntu intrepid the Plasma crashes and I only have my terminal (yakuake) and a skype window that usually opens after logging on. Everything else just doesn't appear (no desktop, no taskbar,...). That's similar to your problem, right?
      Now... I am an absolutely stupid user. My brother installed kubuntu for me and I've worked on it for about two years now but I still can't fix problems and I have almost no idea about the usage of the terminal. I usually let my brother deal with all of that. I can't reach him now for another two weeks though, so I hope that someone here can help me.

I read everything you guys have written here, but I have no idea how that can help me, because I don't understand a thing about bug fixing. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I could do?

My KDE is 4.2.1
      kubuntu Intrepid Ibex

also: my konsole spits out strange things after opening programs:
      firefox
      "firefox: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server p�X   8�Y     ."

kontact:
      "kontact
      Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
      kontact(8041) KWalletDLauncher::getInterface: The kwalletd service has been registered
      kontact(8041) Sonnet::Loader::loadPlugin: Successfully loaded plugin: "kspell_enchant.desktop"
      kontact(8041) Sonnet::Loader::loadPlugin: Successfully loaded plugin: "kspell_hspell.desktop"
      <unknown program name>(8040)/: Communication problem with&#160; "kontact" , it probably crashed.
      Error message was:&#160; "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

Please someone help me! Just having my taskbar and kmenu back would be awesome.

Comment

i have been told the new plasma works better with qt 4.5 . I will let you know if i can get this upgraded. running in gnome terminal attempting the qt 4.5 install
        ( http://www.qtsoftware.com/downloads ) **********update********* no change

Comment

hey, just letting you know: I've tried to solve the problem with the help of people the german kubuntu forum as well for a day now.

I got some good advice and deleted some plasmafiles so that plasma would start as new again, upgraded my distribution a little bit. All of that just within my terminal because everything else just wasn't there, didn't work,... I wasn't able to do other things than running firefox out of the terminal which then worked fine and using the terminal. I've restarted the computer a few times, set up a new user just to see if that one worked fine (which he did), but my usual user with my files in it still didn't work when I switched to it or restarted it.

So after coming home to my laptop an hour ago I was prepared to look for some good new clues and work on getting it to run again andas I logged on all the parts of my graphic user interface were suddenly there again. Plasma works again, kwin works again and everything else I guess works too. Also all my programs that before I couldn't run are working again, just the way I left them before my desktop was gone. All of that happened just as unexpected as it disappeared about 24 hours ago. So my problem isn't solved I guess, but it's gone, and that's everything I needed .

Comment

i have been looking for answers to this for days i found this answer on kde suport .
            waldelf Wrote:
            have you tried deleting your
            ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
            ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc
            i could not find plasmarc anywhere . I however searched the drive and found plasma-appletsrc

i f ound it here and /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config$/plasma-appletsrc
            I opened terminal and ran this
            sudo rm /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config$/plasma-appletsrc

and my systems is back!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by StarWolf
              i have been looking for answers to this for days i found this answer on kde suport .
              waldelf Wrote:
              have you tried deleting your
              ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
              ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc
              i could not find plasmarc anywhere . I however searched the drive and found plasma-appletsrc

i f ound it here and /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config$/plasma-appletsrc
              I opened terminal and ran this
              sudo rm /usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config$/plasma-appletsrc

and my systems is back!!!!!

It worked!!!!! Thank you, thank you , thank you, thank you!

The only thing is that I had to do a file find for both files. But it worked!

Comment

I've got Kubuntu Intrepid 2.6.27-11-generic
                KDE: 4.2.1

I've deleted all plasma config files, but still plasma crashes:

(no debugging symbols found)
                [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
                [New Thread 0xb54196c0 (LWP 6984)]
                [New Thread 0xa9d08b90 (LWP 6993)]
                (no debugging symbols found)

0xb7fed430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
                [Current thread is 0 (LWP 6984)]

Thread 2 (Thread 0xa9d08b90 (LWP 6993)):
                #0 0xb7fed430 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
                #1 0xb58a0075 in pthread_cond_wait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
                #2 0xb6469bbd in pthread_cond_wait () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
                #3 0xb66536f2 in QWaitCondition::wait () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #4 0xb79ad532 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4
                #5 0xb66526ae in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #6 0xb589c50f in start_thread () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
                #7 0xb645ba0e in clone () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

Thread 1 (Thread 0xb54196c0 (LWP 6984)):
                #1 0xb6416f36 in nanosleep () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
                #2 0xb6416d4e in sleep () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
                #3 0xb77a7e92 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
                #4 0xb77a8854 in KCrash::defaultCrashHandler () from /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
                #5 <signal handler called>
                #6 0xb675dbba in QTimer::stop () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #7 0xb7f86870 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #8 0xb7f87a87 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #9 0xb7f89648 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #10 0xb7f93376 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #11 0xb7f93a96 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #12 0xb7f93d0c in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #13 0xb6757a60 in QMetaObject::activate () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #14 0xb67587e2 in QMetaObject::activate () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #15 0xb7e30963 in Plasma::Corona::containmentAdded () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
                #16 0xb7e32038 in Plasma::Corona::loadLayout () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
                #17 0xb7e33751 in Plasma::Corona::initializeLayout () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
                #18 0xb7f909ad in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #19 0xb7f90b45 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #20 0xb7f93d3b in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #21 0xb6757a60 in QMetaObject::activate () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #22 0xb67587e2 in QMetaObject::activate () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #23 0xb675ddb7 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #24 0xb675dedc in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #25 0xb675253f in QObject::event () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #26 0xb69d28ec in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
                #27 0xb69da72e in QApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
                #28 0xb773810d in KApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
                #29 0xb6742e61 in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #30 0xb6770d81 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #31 0xb676d520 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #32 0xb56e16f8 in g_main_context_dispatch () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
                #33 0xb56e4da3 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
                #34 0xb56e4f61 in g_main_context_iteration () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
                #35 0xb676d478 in QEventDispatcherGlib:rocessEvents () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #36 0xb6a6cea5 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
                #37 0xb674152a in QEventLoop:rocessEvents () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #38 0xb67416ea in QEventLoop::exec () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #39 0xb6743da5 in QCoreApplication::exec () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
                #40 0xb69d2767 in QApplication::exec () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
                #41 0xb7f7c7f6 in kdemain () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma.so
                #42 0x08048712 in _start ()

Comment

One of the things I tried earlier was:

kquitapp plasma && rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* && plasma &

Maybe try this along with deleting the plasma config files.

(Oops. On second glace this looks like the same thing as waldef suggested.)

Comment

Originally posted by wmrobins

It worked!!!!! Thank you, thank you , thank you, thank you!

The only thing is that I had to do a file find for both files. But it worked!

Well, it worked until I changed the background to black, changed the resolution, and added a two more of those plasma folder things to the desktop. When I rebooted, the problem came back.

WMRobins

Update: I started over. After "fixing it" by deleting plasma-appletsrc and plasmarc again (BTW there locations changed), I did all my changes/personalizations one at a time, rebooting after each change. And everything is okay. It all works now, which leaves me a little annoyed. If I know what causes it, I know what to avoid. This just leaves me with a time bomb.

WMRobins

Comment

hi all,

I got exactly the same problem.
                      I tried the above solution and it worked for me. ...for a while...

And here comes the interesting things:
                      I have an nvidia card and two displays attached. They have different dimensions and different resolutions. I use them alternatively. When one is on the other is off and I have this option in the Nvidia settings manager.

When I switch to the secondary display and I turn off the system, no matter what I do, it happens that when I turn on again the pc and try to start kde again on the default display comes again that orrible plasma crash. Exactly as before.

Please, any ideas?

Comment

And here comes the interesting things:
                        I have an nvidia card and two displays attached. They have different dimensions and different resolutions. I use them alternatively. When one is on the other is off and I have this option in the Nvidia settings manager.

When I switch to the secondary display and I turn off the system, no matter what I do, it happens that when I turn on again the pc and try to start kde again on the default display comes again that orrible plasma crash. Exactly as before.
                        Same thing here. I have an external monitor plugged in my laptop when Im in the office. If I turn off the laptop without turning off the external monitor with the nvidia settings plasma crashes on restart.

Comment

I don't know how I would apply it to your situation but you may get some ideas to try from the top entry in this bug report: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=185741#c3

WMRobins

Comment

I don't know how I would apply it to your situation but you may get some ideas to try from the top entry in this bug report: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=185741#c3

WMRobins
                            maybe I read it too fast but essentially the message I understood from that thread is that I'll have to wait until KDE 4.2.2...

Am I wrong?

Comment

Well, he did talk about editing some display info in .kde4/share/config/systemsettingsrc and .kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc. But I think your right. We'll have to wait for 4.2.2 for a fix.

WMRobins

Comment

It all works now, which leaves me a little annoyed. If I know what causes it, I know what to avoid. This just leaves me with a time bomb.

WMRobins
                                Don't be annoyed. This is, after all, a BETA, and you knew that going in. What you are doing, and what everyone who runs a beta release is doing, is contributing your part to the development of FOSS/GPL software. That is why the old Linux mantra "Release early, release often" was instituted. FOSS developers, for the most part, are not paid to do so, they are volunteering their time. Those that are paid by corporations represent contributions by that corporation to the development of FOSS. They will get more OUT of FOSS than they ever put in and are economically ahead. We individual users are acting as QC people, bug catchers, if you will, contributing our time. You may also be able to contribute money, equipment, or your talents as a writer/documenter, if you wish. But complain? Surely you don't mean to do that. (You can always get your purchase price refunded! )
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X