This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2.1 Plasma Crashes (Solved)

Upgraded to KDE 4.2.1 this morning and now plasma always crashes.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Downgraded plasma to 4.2.0 for now.

Re: KDE 4.2.1 Plasma Crashes

Same issue with the plasma crashes here. Running applications via ALT + F2. Although all I did this morning was to run Adept. How do I find which version of KDE am I on ? For sure it is 4.2. but whether it is 4.2.1. I do not know.
    Kubuntu user since August 2007&nbsp; <br /><br />CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, E6550-2,33GHz,1333MHz,4MBL2 BOX<br />RAM : DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0&nbsp; Kingston<br />VGA : GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E<br />Karmic Koala 32-bit

Comment

I am on KDE 4.2.1. according to output of

kde4-config --version | grep KDE.

How did you go back to 4.2.0. ? I might well do the same since sudo apt-get update does not help.
      Kubuntu user since August 2007&nbsp; <br /><br />CPU : Intel® Core™2 Duo processor, E6550-2,33GHz,1333MHz,4MBL2 BOX<br />RAM : DDR 2, 2x 512 MB . 800MHz . CL 5,0&nbsp; Kingston<br />VGA : GAINWARD Nvidia 8500GT 256MB, SilentFX, GDDR3, 2xDVI, PCI-E<br />Karmic Koala 32-bit

Comment

Don't forget the old standby to recover a broken plasma from the Alt-F2 box:

Code:
        kquitapp plasma && rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* && plasma &
        This will ensure that the problem is not your plasma config files that are causing plasma to crash.

Comment

Yes. Confirmed. I am crashing as well. Output via syslog is:

plasma[5004]: segfault at 8 ip b65b0eba sp bff7d450 error4 in libQtCore.so.4.5.0[b644b000+238000]

Comment

at least im not alone . i installed gnome just to be sure it wasn't the kernel. the command you gave doesn't fix it ? . reading this im unsure how to get old plasma back

Comment

Originally posted by StarWolf
              reading this im unsure how to get old plasma back
              Well, you could either downgrade back to 4.2.00 or wait for a fix to be issued. Such annoyances are generally fixed in a couple of days.

edit: seems it's an intrepid issue; no problems on jaunty

Comment

And it is probably related to a special type of plasmoid perhaps desktop notes. The other user on the same machine but with a different set of plasmoids does not get any crashes.

Comment

Meh, my plasma started crashing after the upgrade, so far just once - the taskbar & desktop widgets froze for 30-40 seconds and then plasma crashed and restarted. Hopefully the packages get fixed, and this is not a regression we'll have to wait for 4.2.2 to be fixed...

Comment

Can anyone provide a full backtrace, I upgraded to Jaunty and this fixed the issue, but I have a bug open and can't get a full backtrace now.

Comment

I have the same problem, after upgrade all my kde installs on different pc's are broken.

Have anybody found which package have to downgrade?

con

Comment

Originally posted by con
                        I have the same problem, after upgrade all my kde installs on different pc's are broken.

Have anybody found which package have to downgrade?

con
                        Hi

Can you install "kdelibs5-dbg" and "kdebase-workspace-dbg" and provide me with a full backtrace please?

Comment

I had the last hours a lot of fun with upgrading my vm to jaunty. it didn't solve my problem. i have a copy of the vm which is one week old. i start them end make a upgrade to 4.2.1. if this upgrade fails too i can send you the logs.

con

Comment

Originally posted by con
                            I had the last hours a lot of fun with upgrading my vm to jaunty. it didn't solve my problem. i have a copy of the vm which is one week old. i start them end make a upgrade to 4.2.1. if this upgrade fails too i can send you the logs.

con
                            Yes please con, I just need a proper backtrace for the bug I reported.

Post backtrace on http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=186197 if you can please.

Comment

sorry the upgrade works, my vm have now the latest updates and work. my notebook still have the problems i create a backtrace in the the evening.

con

Comment

Working...
                              X