This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2.1 update problem

Have been using KDE 4.2 with 8.10 since it was released in the ppa.launchpad.net and was real happy with it. Just did update to 4.2.1 and the quicklaunch widget that was working fine now just shows dots for the icons instead of the size they were before. Is there any way to make the icons or quicklaunch area larger?
    Also with Dolphin in KDE 3x one had the option to edit a file or open a folder as root. Is this option going to be put back in 4.x?

Re: KDE 4.2.1 update problem

You should be able to resize to quicklauncher with the standard resize control. I use the quicklaunch myself but it didn't resize for me. (I have other problems with the update).

I could resize mine though so that the icon were just dots.

Comment

Currently running Jaunty alpha 9 and I see the exact same problem. I can't resize the quicklaunch plasmoid when it's on the panel and there it displays about 1 pixel big icons. When I put the same plasmoid on the desktop I can resize it and the icons are normal.

Comment

i have the same problem with quick launch in kubuntu 8.10

Comment

Currently in Dolphin under the right-click Actions menu you can edit a file as root...but the option only appears on files which you don't already have permission to edit.

Comment

I also have the problem with the quicklaunch plasmoid in the panel. I can resize it on the desktop no problem but not in the panel where it displays the icons only a few pixels and is unusable. This quicklaunch plasmoid worked perfect (my fav. plasmoid!) untill I did the 4.2.1 upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
              Currently in Dolphin under the right-click Actions menu you can edit a file as root...but the option only appears on files which you don't already have permission to edit.
              What have you changed to get that? If I want to edit the xorg.conf file, on mine when I right click and go to Actions all I have is Preview File, Download with Kget or Encrypt file. This has been the same for all versions of KDE 4.x that I have had on this computer.
              What happened yesterday while trying to get the Quicklaunch to display right my panel changed from a transparent sort of colour similar in colour to my desktop picture to the default blue. Haven't researched that one yet.

Comment

Hmm, I guess I added that servicemenu myself. Here's a link to the file you need.

http://forum.kde.org/superuser-acces....html#pid20498

I saved that file as 'editasroot.desktop' in ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus. Hope that helps!

Comment

Nope, I didn't work for me... I'll need to save it in another directory...
                  Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                  Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                  Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                  Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
                    Hmm, I guess I added that servicemenu myself. Here's a link to the file you need.

http://forum.kde.org/superuser-acces....html#pid20498

I saved that file as 'editasroot.desktop' in ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus. Hope that helps!
                    Thanks, that does work if I change it to sudo. kdesu doesn't work in a console but kdesudo does but kdesudo will not work in the sevice menu but sudo does. I know kdesudo is safer to use in GUI so is there some way to make it work in the service menu?
                    Also I played a bit and made a service menu open a folder as root and kdesudo works there. Strange things happen as now kdesudo works on the edit as root as well.

Comment

One small note that I also found in another forum is kdesudo dolphin will open dolphin with nothing in it and an error message. A search found this solution on kde site: kdesudo dbus-launch "dolphin" "%U"
                      That is the Exec line in my service menu for open as root.

Comment

It's true, I guess we both read the same article he he but I already pasted the editassu.desktop file there and it didn't show up not even once since then...
                        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Has anyone had any success in finding a solution to the original problem posed on this thread? I really miss my quicklaunch.

Comment

You may also try to install Lancelot plasmoid, is another quicklaunch available here.

Have you tried killing plasma and restarting it? You may enter this on krunner (ALT+F2)

kquitapp plasma
                            or
                            killall plasma

and later run it again

plasma

The screen may go blank for a few moments while it closes or relaunches the X-Window system and thus plasma, too.
                            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

I found that jaunty had the same problem and it was related with the package "kdebase-workspace"
                              I downgraded the version of this package to the previous forcing it but nothing happened....anyway I deleted an icon from the quicklaunch so that the icons were just 2 and....with 2 icons it seem to get back to normality.!!!!
                              ..but JUST with two icons!!! Almost useless!!!!
                              If I won't solve it in next 5 mintes for the moment I would use lots of quicklaunch widgets with just 2 icons

Comment

Working...
                              X