Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Plasma crashing on login, problems with dual display.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Plasma crashing on login, problems with dual display.

I am experiencing some trouble on my workstation this morning. My workstation has twin LCD displays 1600*1200 in a 3200x1200 NVIDIA twinview setup, and I run Kubuntu 8.10 without the backported KDE 4.2, in other words, I am running KDE 4.1. I expect that the problems I experience are related to an update of several KDE packages including libplasma2 that was recently released (I am keeping it back on my laptop after experiencing this). Note that this is not the upgrade to KDE4.2 (I don't have backports repository enabled), more likely it was a security of bugfix update of KDE 4.1.

What happened was that after the login, plasma crashed (I found a segfault in messages) and both my screens were black. I was not able to start any applications, but the mouse pointer was there and could be moved around the black screens. Also, the screen saver started as usual and appeared to run without disturbance from these problems.

I read a little bit around on this forum and found that removing two configuration files for plasma in the past have been a successful troubleshooting for plasma problems:
    Code:
    rm .kde/share/config/plasmarc
    rm .kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
    This partly solved my problems. On login, plasma started and generated a desktop on my left display, with the same default wallpaper and applets as you get the first time after installation from scratch. However, the right hand display is black, no desktop applets, wallpaper or controls what so ever. On the other hand, I can move an application window into the right hand screen and it seems to work just fine.

How can I fix so that I get a proper desktop also on the right hand display? Optimally I would like to just stretch everything from my left hand display across the right hand display too. I tried to mount a 3200x1200 wallpaper using my left hand monitor desktop plasmoid but this does not work. It seems like plasma does not understand the nvidia twinview configuration.

Before the login plasma crash I had two plasmoids for desktop (one for left display, one for right display), so I could configure 1 desktop with wallpaper 1 on the left/hand display and the other desktop with wallpaper 1 or 2 on the right-hand display. Now only the left hand display one is left alive, and the right hand display is black,without any options.

Please help me breathe some life into my right hand display!

Re: Plasma crashing on login, partly solved but problems remain with dual display.

update:
    After a discussion with mefisto on irc.freenode.net #kubuntu, decided that it may be worth the risk to enable backports and upgrade to kde 4.2 - will report back with results in a while.

Comment

Re: Plasma crashing on login, partly solved but problems remain with dual display.

Updating to kde 4.2 brought back status before the problems started. I am a little bit disappointed that in 4.2 you still can't put a wallpaper across multiple displays, but considering that the alternative would to be without a working desktop, it isn't that bad

Comment

Working...
      X