This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

envyng and nvidia

I installed a nvidia 5700 in my computer after the on-board nvidia (6300 - I think) gave problems. I installed and used envyng to install my nvidia drivers. After "correctly" installing the173 nvidia driver using the excellent instructions in this thread:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3086232.0
    The problem is that when restarting my computer my screen appears as a split screen with "two screens" interfering with each other.
    The only way that I found to repair that problem was to start the computer in repair mode, use the fix x-server line and then restart my computer. The screen then looks and works nornally BUT when trying to adapt the computer for 3D usage, I get the following message from the "nvidia xserver settings" module:
    You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

Where can I go from here?
    Errol

Re: envyng and nvidia

Start with your xorg.conf file. Check out what driver you use.

Comment

The file is empty I did sudo kate /etc/x11.xorg.conf and got an empty box.

I now went into dolphin and found the xorg.conf file that way. This is the printout of the file:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
      #
      # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
      # values from the debconf database.
      #
      # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
      # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
      #
      # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
      # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
      # package.
      #
      # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
      # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
      # here are ignored.
      #
      # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
      # again, run the following command:
      # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Configured Monitor"
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Default Screen"
      Monitor "Configured Monitor"
      Device "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

There is another xorg.conf file in X11 called xorg.conf_xconfig.20090226083635 which (judging by the date info) is the config that was built by envyng and changed to the above configuration when I did fix xserver.

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
      #
      # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
      # values from the debconf database.
      #
      # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
      # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
      #
      # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
      # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
      # package.
      #
      # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
      # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
      # here are ignored.
      #
      # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
      # again, run the following command:
      # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Configured Monitor"
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Default Screen"
      Monitor "Configured Monitor"
      Device "Configured Video Device"
      DefaultDepth 24
      EndSection

Section "Module"
      Load "glx"
      Disable "dri2"
      EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      Driver "nvidia"
      EndSection

Comment

Do you have by any chance nvidia-settings installed? If not - install it. Restart X server with working xorg.conf file (the one with no 3D support but without a split screen). Run nvidia-settings. It should give you info about: X server, monitor, card, driver etc. Maybe you made mistake during driver setup?

Comment

In case the nvidia settings aren't giving you any joy you could try the other two nvidia versions that are available, 177 and 180.

Comment

I reinstalled the nvidia drivers using envyng and the recommended one (173) was the one that gave me the split screen. The 173 driver received "two plusses" so I presumed it was the recommended one. I will try the others and get back to this thread. It will take a day or two as I will only be at that computer at a later date. Meanwhile thanks for the input.

Comment

Have you got the integrated video chip disabled in BIOS, or with a board jumper?

Comment

It's disabled in bios. I couldn't find a jumper.

Comment

report back and (sad ) conclusion.
                  I tried all the nvidia numbers in the energyng list. One wouldn't recognize my monitor(177), and the two others just didn't work (the ones smaller than 173). The only one that worked (and gave the split screen) was 173. There was no higher number than 177 to try.
                  My conclusion was to stick with the "non-nvidia" configuration until (if) I get a newer card than the 5700 I have. At least my computer works.
                  If there are more wise words on solving the problem I'll just thank you guys for your efforts and not have 3d benefits.
                  Errol

Comment

Th double screen you describe could be a refresh frequency issue, under the Advanced button in the Nvidia settings utility you might be able to select a different refresh frequency.

Comment

According to Nvidia, the 173 series is indeed the correct driver for a 5 series chip:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If your integrated chip is a 6300, it says 180.29 will run that one. You might want to pull the card and give another try with the integrated chip.

Otherwise, you're probably stuck with the "nv" driver and no 3D.

Comment

Wow!! Did I have a problem with this whole effort of trying to get nvidia to work. I haven't quite got there yet because as I will try to report I had woes along the way. Here goes.
                        After installing nvidia with envyng and getting the problems described in my original request and then trying all the solutions proposed on this thread I suddenly had a new problem.
                        As I am not on the computer that is giving me the trouble, what I'm about to describe is from memory so there may be inaccuracies as to the actual wording.
                        In one of my attempts to restart envyng I got a message that the python.py file couldn't parse . I tried deleting envyng, purging it etc.etc. nothing worked. "configure dpkg --configure-a - you name it, I tried it. Every time I tried some command I got this "parse" message. I tried finding info about it and didn't really find an answer. Eventually I opened the parse file in kate and corrected every mistake that was read out to me. When opening "parse" it gives an error message, stating the line and type of problem (usually a typo). I must at the outset say that I had no real idea of exactly what I was doing but made two decisions. One to try and fix this "parse" file (It's huge - some 25000 lines) and two, if that didn't work I would reinstall Kubuntu. This was all for a learning experience.
                        There were about 20 "problems". As I said usually an exclamation mark not on place, a missing colon, a bracket not closing a statement. Stuff like that. There were numerous misspelled words but they don't seem to be relevant to the actual functioning of the parse file. I actually got the parse file repaired. Or should I say it looks like I got the parse file repaired as I can now give commands and I don't get the message telling me the parse file has a problem.
                        I then did update and hopefully got to the stage that I can now try and get the nvidia system working. Unfortunately that answer will only be available at the next installment of the sage - next week, because I wont be at that computer till then.
                        In looking back on this experience I am overwhelmed by my audacity to delve into something I know nothing about. I am sure there were (are) better ways to deal with what I call the "parse problem" but I was actually enjoying the challenge, even if I was doing the unthinkable.
                        Will get back with further reports and hopefully with a working 3d nvidia - which was the basis for this thread .
                        Errol

Comment

Originally posted by errol

In looking back on this experience I am overwhelmed by my audacity to delve into something I know nothing about.
                          Wow, I am also impressed by your audacity! But, there is very little chance that this is going to work -- I have never heard of such an effort to fix a python problem. Something is very wrong with your EnvyNG installation, I suspect, or maybe something else in your system.

If I were having such a problem, I think I would (a) remove and re-install EnvyNG and try again to run it, and if that didn't work, then (b) download the Nvidia installer and try installing the driver that way. Here's the guidance on that method:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...seen#msg164892

Comment

dibl, I did try and uninstall envyng in every way possible. That is when I kept on getting those python parse messages. Every command I typed, came up with a "parse" message. When I get back to that computer, I'll print out the exact message for all. I should be in the konsole. I also tried installing nvidia manually but not the way your link shows. I will certainly try that when I get back to the computer. Thanks for the link. I do think that had I tried the solution you provide before doing what I did to the parse file, I would have got the error message. Now, at least I won't get stopped in trying.

Comment

I'm no programmer, but my understanding is that parse errors indicate that a piece of software violates a rule of the language in which it was written -- a variable doesn't have a proper name, or a loop doesn't have a proper conclusion, or some such problem. Since EnvyNG is heavily tested by its developer before being released, there is no valid reason for it to have multiple parse errors -- it can only be attributed to a problem with the installation on your system.

Comment

Working...
                              X