This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) Where do the pictures go?

When I'm at a web site and I right click on a picture and then click on "Set As Desktop Background" Where does the picture get saved to? I looked in /usr/share/wallpaper but nothing new is there. Thankx for any help.

Re: Where do the pictures go?

I am not quite sure what you want to do but try:
    /home/.kde/share/wallpapers

I use save graphic with firefox
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Fintan is spot on. And consider this: they cannot be saved to /usr 'cos that directory is owned by root whereas you are just a lowly user
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thankx for the help guys. I looked in /home/.kde/share/wallpapers but there's nothing there.

Comment

I am afraid I am not familiar with this "set as desktop" feature. If you happen to know the name of the file you could do a
          Code:
          sudo updatedb
          followed by a
          Code:
          locate file_name
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

toad I found it by looking in the last place I would have thought it would be. It's in /home/. Thankx for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Apollo9
              When I'm at a web site and I right click on a picture and then click on "Set As Desktop Background" Where does the picture get saved to? I looked in /usr/share/wallpaper but nothing new is there. Thankx for any help.
              You are not using Windows so clicking on Set as the Desktop Background doesn't seem to work. You just need to save the file using Save Page As in Firefox or Save As in Opera. I have a directory where I keep all new wallpapers. By right clicking on the desktop and selecting Appearance Settings you can then select the file you want to set as wallpaper.

It does beg the question as to why the option is in the Linux version of Firefox when it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
                It does beg the question as to why the option is in the Linux version of Firefox when it doesn't work.
                I just looked and lo and behold you are right, it does put it in /home. You learn something new every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                  I am not quite sure what you want to do but try:
                  /home/.kde/share/wallpapers

I use save graphic with firefox
                  Am I missing something, I can't find this pathname?

Comment

Re: (SOLVED) Where do the pictures go?

/home/.kde whereby ".kde is a hidden file so you have to activate "view hidden files" in dolphin / konqueror "view"
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

/home/.kde whereby ".kde is a hidden file so you have to activate "view hidden files" in dolphin / konqueror "view"
                      I wonder why ls -a doesn't show hidden files?

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
                        I wonder why ls -a doesn't show hidden files?
                        OK, just being dumb I have got it now.

Comment

Code:
                          man ls
                          LS(1) User Commands LS(1)

NAME
                          ls - list directory contents

SYNOPSIS
                          ls [OPTION]... [FILE]...

DESCRIPTION
                          List information about the FILEs (the current directory by default). Sort entries alphabetically if none of -cftuvSUX
                          nor --sort.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.

-a, --all
                          do not ignore entries starting with .

Comment

toad I found it by looking in the last place I would have thought it would be. It's in /home/. Thankx for your help.
                            Actually it is put in /home/<user name> and the file is called Firefox_wallpaper.png, if you get another wallpaper and set as background it overwrites the first one. So it doesn't mimic Windows behaviour instead choosing to do something really eccentric and counter intuitive.

Comment

Working...
                            X