X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with shutdown

Hello All,
    I am having a problem at shutdown. The shutdown process goes along until the GUI disappears and then I'm getting
    BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 61s! [NETWORK MANAGER]
    this will repeat all night if I don't hard power off.
    Can anyone suggest where I should start troubleshooting.

(screen shot attached is a digital camera picture. I'm not sure how to take a normal screen shot at this stage)
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: problems with shutdown

No clue.
    But I googled the error
    BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 61s! [NETWORK MANAGER]
    and found out you are not alone:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=BUG%3...ient=firefox-a
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

A little more information.
      when I do the following:
      # ps aux | grep NetworkManager
      root 5595 0.0 0.0 62904 2924 ? Ssl 00:36 0:00 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager

kill -9 5595

the shutdown process works exactly as expected, with no errors. This suggests to me that the problem is with "/usr/sbin/NetworkManager"

How do I go about finding out what this program is and why it's giving problems?
      Thanks,

Comment

networkmanager is that what the name says it is, 'man networkmanager' will give you some insight.
        It's a utility "to make networking configuration and setup as painless and automatic as possible."
        On a KDE installation you don't really see it, knetworkmanager is the interface on top of it.

Until KDE4.2 networkmanager wouldn't deal with my WIFI and I needed to install WICD to get WIFI working, during the install of WICD networkmanager would be removed (meaning it replaced it). Maybe this would be a solution for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
          networkmanager is that what the name says it is, 'man networkmanager' will give you some insight.
          It's a utility "to make networking configuration and setup as painless and automatic as possible."
          On a KDE installation you don't really see it, knetworkmanager is the interface on top of it.
          Thanks for the information

Until KDE4.2 networkmanager wouldn't deal with my WIFI and I needed to install WICD to get WIFI working, during the install of WICD networkmanager would be removed (meaning it replaced it). Maybe this would be a solution for you?
          I've used kubuntu for about 2 years and I really like it, but the main problem I've had has been networking. I'm a little nervous to mess with it once it's working.

Should I take this over to the network section of this forum?
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X