This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Panel Icons too small

I was going to start by writing something sarcastic about KDE4. But this a family forum, right?

Anyway, the panel thing is driving me crazy.

The icons and captions on it have now shrunk to these tiny little things. I need a magnifying glass to make out what they are.

Is there anyway to control that?

And can they be made to stack instead of everything cramming into one row?

OR, could I create a second panel and have it at the bottom of the screen? Seems that when I create a new panel it wants to locate to the top only?

If these are simple questions, I'm sorry. I have spent hours to find answers but all I get is divisive opinions about the quality of KDE4.

Thanks

Re: KDE Panel Icons too small

KDE Panel Icons too small
    Hmm ?? Make the panel bigger (taller)

And can they be made to stack instead of everything cramming into one row?
    Are you using KDE 4.1 or KDE 4.2 ? KDE 4.2 has multirow - Force row settings/maximum rows...

Maybe these help:
    > Plasma FAQ (KDE 4.1)
    > Plasma FAQ (KDE4.2)
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hmm ?? Make the panel bigger (taller)
      Tried that. Has no effect

Are you using KDE 4.1 or KDE 4.2 ? KDE 4.2 has multirow - Force row settings/maximum rows...
      I'm using 4.2

Row settings? I wasn't aware. Do you know how or can you point me to a wiki or something?

Thanks

Comment

Row settings? I wasn't aware. Do you know how or can you point me to a wiki or something?
        Right click an empty area in the task manager => there should be options: "Task Manager Settings", "Panel Options" and "Remove this Task Manager"

Task Manager Settings has row settings and grouping & sorting + filters

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Right click an empty area in the task manager => there should be options: "Task Manager Settings", "Panel Options" and "Remove this Task Manager
          It was already set to to two rows.

I think this has to be some sort of bug. The other thing I now notice the graphics & text on the panel corrupt frequently. Well, as much as I can see of them.

BTW, I found a 'Magnifier' in the repository. That should help me see what's on the panel

Back to gnome, I think.

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble.

Comment

In KDE4.2 I have the panel set to a hight of ~52 pixels, with the 1680x1050 pixel screen I have it will give full size icons until it changes to double rows when more than 5 applications are displayed.

I understand your reason for grouping but have always considered it a nuisance so I'm glad it is configurable

I have not seen any corruption of text or icons but until last week the whole thing would crash several times per day and recover a few seconds later, I'm pretty sure it was a plasma bug as the widgets would crash too.
            But probably since an update a couple of days ago it all works better.

4.2 looks great but is still no where as useful as 3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
              In KDE4.2 I have the panel set to a hight of ~52 pixels, with the 1680x1050 pixel screen I have it will give full size icons until it changes to double rows when more than 5 applications are displayed.
              Here's the thing; no matter how high I make the panel, the icons stay the same miniscule size. Even in a new panel, the icons stay at the small size.

4.2 looks great but is still no where as useful as 3.5.
              Well, we must be wrong about that because no one's listening

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by GUIGuy
                Here's the thing; no matter how high I make the panel, the icons stay the same miniscule size. Even in a new panel, he icons stay at the small size.
                That sounds rather odd, could you provide a screenshot?

The first thing when troubleshooting plasma issues, is to check there are no version conflicts in plasma packages (that all plasma packages are of the same version, 4.2.0 for example)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                  That sounds rather odd, could you provide a screenshot?
                  http://crakatinny.com/images/snapshot2.png

The first thing when troubleshooting plasma issues, is to check there are no version conflicts in plasma packages (that all plasma packages are of the same version, 4.2.0 for example)
                  I've pretty much eliminated the risk of conflicts. Synaptic tells me that everything is of the same (current) version. Only a complete fresh install remains, which I don't really want to do.

Thanks

Comment

Hmmm. going back to gnome?

We can't have that

Well I had similar problem a löong time ago.

You could do this from the cli but I did it from a live cd.
                    Boot the live cd and navigate to your/home/.kde/share/config and rename plasmarc and plasma-applterc to something else and reboot. (.kde is hidden so you will have to activate view hidden files in dolphin)

Your plasma will be recreated and should be good to go.
                    OR, could I create a second panel and have it at the bottom of the screen? Seems that when I create a new panel it wants to locate to the top only?
                    Well, that is easy. Unlock widgets, add new panel (goes to the top just like kde3) now click on the kidney on your new panel and move your mouse to "screen edge" move and resize at will.

For a screen shot of what I mean:
                    http://www.fintan-gastro-consulting.ch/Desktop1.png

I hope that helps

Edit: the guiguy has a point.
                    Check with synaptic and see what versions you have installed.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

As Fintan said, could be a plasma configuration issue. The main thing with removing/renaming plasma config is not to have plasma running when you remove/rename them:
                      Code:
                      kquitapp plasma && rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* && plasma &
                      Should kill plasma, remove the possibly bad configuration files and start plasma afresh (you'll need to redo your plasma settings/widgets, but should clear your issues if they are due to config problems)

Comment

[SOLVED] KDE Panel Icons too small

Originally posted by Fintan
                        Boot the live cd and navigate to your/home/.kde/share/config and rename plasmarc and plasma-applterc to something else and reboot. (.kde is hidden so you will have to activate view hidden files in dolphin)
                        Great. That worked!!

However, mainly for the benefit of those who follow, with a slight correction to one of the file names
                        • Reboot- when grub loads press DEL and go to recovery
                        • drop to a root prompt and execute the following
                        • cd /home/<username>/.kde/share/config
                        • mv plasmarc plasmarc_old
                        • mv plasma-appletsrc plasma-appletsrc
                        • exit

and resume the boot (or reboot).

Again, many thanks. As always; in the end it was easy.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                          As Fintan said, could be a plasma configuration issue. The main thing with removing/renaming plasma config is not to have plasma running when you remove/rename them:
                          Code:
                          kquitapp plasma && rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* && plasma &
                          Should kill plasma, remove the possibly bad configuration files and start plasma afresh (you'll need to redo your plasma settings/widgets, but should clear your issues if they are due to config problems)
                          Yea, thanks kubicle. Fintan's reply set me straight.

Cheers

Comment

Glad it worked.

As I said, you could do it from the cli and kubicles solution is very elegant

I'll have to remember that one
                            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                            X