This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista Here I Come, reluctantly

I've been using Kubuntu for several years now and really like it but am giving up because frequently after upgrading my system becomes inoperable requiring me to get help to restore it. Last week, for example, a friend found that the reason the problem was that the current version of one library (whatever those are) didn't work and he found it necessary to replace it with the previous version and there is still a problem with the graphics (and access to video control is blocked).

Re: Vista Here I Come, reluctantly

Then be careful with upgrades.

Ubuntu does not have 'restore points' but it is relatively simple to do a fresh install and import your existing settings.
    I have a good Hardy install for serious stuff and on a small partition I run Intrepid, partially linked to the same /home as Hardy.
    This gives me the opportunity to experiment on 8.10/intrepid all I want without any negative effects on 8.04/hardy.

So before going to Vista I'd suggest a fresh install of Kubuntu After you've done a back up of your /home.

Comment

Currently I'm using Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Vista and XP. They all do the job. And Vista is not quite as evil as claimed by some, but it's not a wonderful as claimed by others.

I'd go to XP if you can find a copy before I'd go to Vista. Vista needs so much more horse power and ram it's insane. To get an idea of what I'm talking about go to:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows and take a look at the CPU and memory requirements for the different MS operating systems. (Table at the bottom of the page)

Linux requirements? http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/linux I'm not putting the various requirements down because you'd never believe me.

As far as I can see, all the that ram goes to eye candy. It feels slower then XP. (I have a dual boot.)

No matter what your choice, I'd do a dual boot, one Windows and one linux, if you have the disk space.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty88
        I've been using Kubuntu for several years now and really like it but am giving up because frequently after upgrading my system becomes inoperable requiring me to get help to restore it. Last week, for example, a friend found that the reason the problem was that the current version of one library (whatever those are) didn't work and he found it necessary to replace it with the previous version and there is still a problem with the graphics (and access to video control is blocked).
        Careful. I reckon KDE4 is to Linux what Vista is to Windows. In other words, if you're going to Vista be prepared to be frustrated also. XP is a better choice. Or why not try the Gnome or XFCE desktop?

But I concur. After years of being a KDE devotee, KDE4 is really starting to turn me off.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X